Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interface options (flight plan loading, etc) for panel mount avionics

Does anyone have information on how to do this?

It is done via the crossfill interface.

Let's forget the legality issues for now... (they didn't worry Avidyne much, since they seem to have got their Ipad interface certified, or have they?)

I have read that this has been blocked on the GTNs, but does this mean a GNS will not crossfill to a GTN?

Alternatively, how is a keypad interfaced, or is the keypad an option only on the G1000+ ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

they didn't worry Avidyne much, since they seem to have got their Ipad interface certified, or have they

That was Aspen with their Connected Panel. I believe they do not support GNS 5.x software and there is no support for GTNs. Aspen's product is supposed to be an open platform, meaning 3rd party apps can use it to talk to the GNS.

The other product I know is Voice Flight which also supports GNS 5.x.

Both companies reverse engineered the Garmin crossfill interface. The GTN can crossfill to a GNS but not the other way around. This capability requires firmware 5.x in the GNS which brings the modified crossfill protocol.

Voiceflight seem to have cracked the GNSx30/W v5 firmware and they have an STC for it.

Very interesting!

Administrator

From here

Yes; mentioned here.

Is there a significant advantage of one or the other in the European IFR environment if one is not transferring flight plans to it wirelessly? For example does one make it easier to comply with some ATC instruction?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is there a significant advantage of one or the other in the European IFR environment if one is not transferring flight plans to it wirelessly? For example does one make it easier to comply with some ATC instruction?

That will be a tough question to answer for anyone who doesn’t fly regularly with both A* & G*. As an Avidyne user, I know it well and love it and really don’t care anymore to study and learn the G* approach. From ATC, I mostly get short-cuts, i.e. DCT to some waypoint further down my FPL route, and that is dead simple on the Avidyne.

If by “not transferring flight plans to it wirelessly” you mean entering them by hand then the Avidyne demo really shows how easy it is to enter a plan. With the BT kb it’s even easier if one has any typing skills at all (mine is mounted on the yoke).

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

With the BT kb it’s even easier if one has any typing skills at all (mine is mounted on the yoke).

I think that Garmin deficiency (lack of external keyboard for GTN 650/750) is still there…
While you can have it for Gx000, you can’t have it for G5/600TXi or GTNs.

EGTR

Some people say that the GTN650 is a keyboard for the GTN 750 :)

ELLX

After having flown with a GTN 750 with Flight Stream 210 for quite some time (The last occasion were 13 legs in 11 days), I‘d say this is the expected way from Garmin and the keyboard for the G1000 is more a legacy.
Especially with Autorouter routings that have lots of directs, the Avidyne airway loading is not really superior over Garmin, the geosorting maybe.
With the 210 you also get an AHRS backup.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

TobiBS wrote:

As with the Avidyne IFD550.

LSZK, Switzerland

TobiBS wrote:

After having flown with a GTN 750 with Flight Stream 210 for quite some time (The last occasion were 13 legs in 11 days), I‘d say this is the expected way from Garmin and the keyboard for the G1000 is more a legacy.
Especially with Autorouter routings that have lots of directs, the Avidyne airway loading is not really superior over Garmin, the geosorting maybe.

Sorry, agree to disagree – if I have to enter a few things manually, I’d prefer to have a (bigger) keyboard.
I might be just a legacy person, but…

EGTR
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message