Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interface options (flight plan loading, etc) for panel mount avionics

Malibuflyer wrote:

he AHRS is not a toy – but the way many pilots use it is: If you have a (certified) ahrs and then use it to display attitude on a yoke mounted tablet (that tilts with turning the joke) you convert a very reliable sensor into a death trap device…

Interesting point. I took it on board, and am going to mount my iPad on the side of the panel on a ram ball. If it overheats, I will get one of those cooling devices.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Peter wrote:

GP and FF are c. 100/year but they have different versions which cost more. How does this relate to avionics interface capability?

Can only talk about GP: The different versions have no difference in avionics interface capabilities. Every flight plan you can create in your version of GP you can also transfer to the avionics.

Germany

What are the costs?

GP and FF are c. 100/year but they have different versions which cost more. How does this relate to avionics interface capability?

And is there any way to load a FP into a panel mounted navigator without paying an annual subscription? I know one can do it with a GNS, via the SD card route, by preparing a specially formatted file and turning the GPS off/on.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

The AHRS- ad-on thingy is not a toy.
It’s a feature provided buy the Flightstream interface that is required for the transfer.
This is an ‘installed’ piece of equipment not a pocket gadget.

The AHRS is not a toy – but the way many pilots use it is: If you have a (certified) ahrs and then use it to display attitude on a yoke mounted tablet (that tilts with turning the joke) you convert a very reliable sensor into a death trap device…

GA_Pete wrote:

For GNS owners, Once having got used to Garmin Pilot, and operating the panel via an Ipad there’s no going back. Life becomes very easy.

Fully agree! Yes, the Garmin ecosystem is expensive but if you happen to have it, it is extremely convenient including seamless satellite weather into Garmin Pilot and a nice keyboard for writing sat SMS …

Germany

Foreflight can talk to Garmin … for FP transfer

Up to a point… Beware that FP transfer from Foreflight to Garmin GTN/GNS is a bit flakey, due to the different waypoint nomenclature and absence of some VFR waypoints in the FF map database.

Garmin’s “Connext” FP transfer works much better from Garmin Pilot to and from the Garmin navigators. Almost 100%, as one might expect.

Once spoiled by Garmin’s Connext and Telligence voice control, it’s torture to go back to the old touch-screen/knob-twiddling user interfaces.

Last Edited by Jacko at 11 Feb 22:29
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Our club fleet has both 430/530 Garmins as well as 650/750. As the 650/750 are in our C172s which I rarely fly (and never IFR x-country), I can only comment on the setup for the 430s, but AFAIK it’s the same foe the 650/750.

My workflow is:
- plan the flight on the iPad in ForeFlight (I sometimes use the website, but hardly ever)
- file flight plan
- once accepted check for amendments and send final FP to map in FF on iPad
- at the airplane, once IFR clearance received either keep original or amend as necessary on the iPad
- transfer to 430 via FS210
- acknowledge on 430 and check if properly loaded (so far has always been the case)
- go flying ;-))
- in the air, if amended clearance received: depending on complexity either change on 430 (e.g. a shortcut that only omits one WP), or type new plan into iPad and send to 430 as above. Btw, if you change a FP on the 430, FF on the iPad will ask if you want to import the amended FP.

HTH.

How I operate…..
I have 2 Ipads, yoke mounted.
1 has Garmin Pilot, 1 has Skydemon.
I have Skydemon on my phone for quick and dirty lookup of places an routes when on the sofa, at work, or when anyone asks me about something flying related.

I know that most IFR waypoints suit my purposes for the VFR or IR(r) flying that I do.
So I select my start and destination in Skydemon. I then ‘Rubber band’ my route via IFR waypoints and airfield navaids.

In Garmin pilot on the Ipad either at the aircraft or at home, I then repeat that process having, done the legwork in SD it only takes a couple of minutes, if that. Even the wife does it for me.

Once the panel is live, it’s 2 or 3 button presses to send that to the GNS 430 via Bluetooth because of the Flightstream 210.
All done, off we go.

If I amend the route on the Ipad while airborne, a couple of presses and the 430 is done.
If I amend the route on the 430, the Ipad will ask if I wish to receive the amendment, and If I accept it, that also will now display the amended route.

What could be simpler.

I keep GP in front of me and SD at P2. The wife runs SD as P2 and pre selects frequencies for me.
I need to upgrade her to dialling them into stby on the radios for me. ;-)

United Kingdom

Many thanks for the explanation @Airborne_Again.
Again grateful to this forum.

France

Please do not make this into an Avidyne v Garmin thread.
There is at least one dinosaur on here, me.

And me I have neither A or G. But the thread is about any avionics… not that there actually are any anymore in the marketplace.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

with what is an FS201 and where do you put it.

The FlightStream 210 is a Garmin box that connects your Garmin GTN/GNSW navigator to your iOS (and possibly Android) devices using Bluetooth. E.g. you can transfer flightplans from Garmin pilot to a GTN/GNSW box. It can also connect your mobile device to some other Garmin avionics like an ADS-B in receiver. It is a permanent avionics install. It is unrelated to SkyDemon, Jeppesen etc, except that you can transfer a route from SD to Garmin Pilot and thus indirectly from SD to your GTN/GNSW..

An alternative is to use FlightStream 510 — a combined Bluetooth/memory card that you put into the memory card slot of a GTN unit. The FS510 is more expensive but does not require installation in the aircraft.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 11 Feb 08:46
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message