Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Navigator GPS position to a Trig Transponder

Possibly a silly question, but while I am planning to spend other peoples money I’ll ask it anyway since I didn’t find a definitive answer anywhere else.

We are doing/planning an avionics upgrade. There will be a Garmin GPS involved and at the moment the GPS175 is ticking the required boxes. The question is does this (and indeed the rest of the Garmin series) provide a output which can be fed to a Trig ADSB capable transponder to make it ADSB out?

Garmin don’t make this very clear, although Trig reference the ability to recognise the Garmin protocols in their manuals.

I am presuming this is two wires on the RS232 interface but would nice to have a confirmation.

Many thanks!

EGBP, United Kingdom

Whiskey_Bravo wrote:

There will be a Garmin GPS involved and at the moment the GPS175 is ticking the required boxes. The question is does this (and indeed the rest of the Garmin series) provide a output which can be fed to a Trig ADSB capable transponder to make it ADSB out?

Garmin don’t make this very clear, although Trig reference the ability to recognise the Garmin protocols in their manuals.

I am presuming this is two wires on the RS232 interface but would nice to have a confirmation.

I can confirm that this works with the GTN630 and the TT31 using RS232. If the GPS175 uses the same protocols (haven’t checked), then I see no reason why it shouldn’t work with a GPS175 as well.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes the Trig supports a Garmin GPS input for ADS-B

See 6.1.9.1 in the Trig manual:

https://trig-avionics.com/library/00455-00%20AR%20TT31%20Installation%20Manual%20-%20Full.pdf

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Thank you gentlemen. Most helpful as always.

EGBP, United Kingdom

It is up to Trig to design their product to accept the Garmin GPS data stream.

RS232 is just an interface; nothing to do with the data.

If it doesn’t work, Garmin will not be interested; not their problem. Trig will need to do it.

We did this before; I think this is the data which Trig have to either license or reverse engineer. I never found any documentation on this, and in the project I am working on now I am taking the ARINC429 route because the data in that cannot be concealed for commercial reasons.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, I have adsb out with my gtn650 and trig tt31.
It was fitted under an stc from a partner of Trig. I had to have a software upgrade to the trig which was done for free. The neat thing about the stc was that it included an airspeed switch(pitot static) for automatic air/ground switching.

EGNS, Other
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message