Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Attitude Indicator

It appears my trusty attitude indicator has bitten the dust and as I have to have a 2nd one next to my Aspen I am wondering what to do here.

Obviously I could simply get a new vaccum one or a simple electric one, but I see they also cost in the region of an electronic one.

So I wonder, has anyone of you got an electronic one working in your panel? And how happy are you?

I’ve looked at the “obvious” choice of the G5 but there are also others such as the uAvionix AV-30C or something else…

any ideas welcome.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I have a Mid-Continent attitude indicator (electric) for sale out of my Mooney. It was used as a backup besides the KI256. Works beautifully, but can’t drive my KFC150. Otherwise I would have kept it…

EBST, Belgium

We put a dual G5 into one of our planes (C182) last year and everyone in the club loves it. The only somewhat weird thing you have to get used to is that the certified version does not allow for a height adjustment of the miniature airplane. Bizarrely, the non-certified version does. Go figure….

172driver wrote:

he only somewhat weird thing you have to get used to is that the certified version does not allow for a height adjustment of the miniature airplane. Bizarrely, the non-certified version does. Go figure….

This has been discussed extensively somewhere … either here or on the PPL/IR Europe forums

With a mechanical instrument, the miniature airplane adjustment is needed to calibrate the instrument for parallax error with pilots of different height or seat positions. With an electronic instrument, there is no such parallax so there is no need to adjust.

On certified versionns of the G5, there actually is an adjustment, but it is a “hidden” installation setting and intended to be used only by the installer to adjust the instrument to zero pitch.

I would guess the reason this adjustment is directly accessible in the uncertified version is to cater for experimental or amateur-built aircraft where you could have reason to adjust the zero pitch setting other than at installation time.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Mar 15:17
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It depends to some extent on the aircraft TCDS and on the Aspen STC, whether a standalone AI is required and what it should be. It may need to be vacuum, in a single alternator aircraft, unless it has a battery backup and is STCs accordingly.

Primary AIs are not adjustable, for a good reason.

See the related threads below, especially this one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

On certified versionsns of the G5, there actually is an adjustment, but it is a “hidden” installation setting and intended to be used only by the installer to adjust the intrument to zero pitch.

True, but it’s a right royal PITA to get right. Our C182 needed several test flights to get the thing to line up properly, as the airplane doesn’t sit the same on the ground as it does in the air. Would be much easier to make it pilot adjustable as in the ‘experimental’ version.

Peter wrote:

unless it has a battery backup and is STCs accordingly.

The G5s have internal backup batteries with a 4 hour life.

Well, I could simply glue my trusty Dynon D1 in place. But of course it is not a legal replacement.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Hi M_D

If I recall correctly the uAvionics AV-30C GPS interface is VFR only, not IFR compliant. (Install manual page 20 section 8.2.5) That may or may not be important to you.

United Kingdom

You could always have a second Aspen beside he first one, giving you reversion and an MFD

Last Edited by Neil at 02 Mar 16:06
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Wow! That’s a fine looking pair of Attitude Indicators!

LSZK, Switzerland
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message