Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PowerFlarm, Garmin TIS, Skydemon

Hi,

After one of my friends had a scary near miss with a glider a few weeks ago we want to install a PowerFlarm Core with a Garmin TIS interface and the Ipad Connect so it shows traffic on our GTN750 and also on Skydemon. We can't get ourselves to installing a 10k$ TAS when the threats for us are mostly gliders. The certified PowerFlarm will be under half that number including installation.

Butterfly offer either internal antennas (not an option - no cables on my panel or glare shield), really cheap ones (they recommend them only for aircraft <80kts) or Comant antennas for 400€ each.. (Certified to 600 kts which may be overkill for our 182) Would I need two of those? Is it sensible to go for those antennas or is there an alternative?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated

Thanks mrfacts

EDLN and EDKB

Go for the internal antennae and find a way to install them neatly. The attenuation of the antenna cable is so high that it has to be very short. With more than 1.5m in cable length, the antenna becomes useless. This is the reason why the only external antenna they recommend is so expensive. I have two internal antennae in my C182 and routed the cable behind the plastic trim. I do get good results and the system has paid for by itself.

Like you, I see gliders as the bigger risk than motor planes. The skies are full with them over here and more than once I have been warned of a near miss. PowerFLARM is also rather reliable showing transponder traffic and I am not of the opinion that you need azimuth, being alerted of something in your vicinity is enough (VMC only of course).

With more than 1.5m in cable length, the antenna becomes useless

I think you just need to use a better quality cable.

This is standard L-band stuff and for example the DME cable in the TB20 is about 7m long. It is a pricey cable, about 9mm diameter.

Some notes here

But yes you do need to be competent to do this sort of RF wiring. If it is bodged you can get a massive signal loss.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I'm not sure whether powerflarm core interfaces with the GTN, it doesn't work with GNS boxes or G1000. Only the Garrecht TRX does.

Sorry in German..

United Kingdom

Of course not, PowerFLARM is not certified. It can never send data to GNS/GTN/G1000. However, its TIS interface works beautifully with the Garmin GPSMAP 695, 495, 795 etc.

According to the PowerFLARM developers, they don't recommend extending the antenna cable beyond 1.5m, no matter which cable. I didn't feel like experimenting so I arranged it in the best possible way inside the cockpit. I rarely ever encounter traffic that is not reported and I have never been advised of traffic by ATC which was not also shown on my PowerFLARM so I think my setup is rather good.

The op wanted to connect it to a GTN 750.

United Kingdom

Thanks for all your input. According to PowerFlarm:

EASA Minor Change Approvals for fixed installation in many aircraft below 2t MTOW are available.

So I think we're good with the fixed installation and connection. The German document above is from 2012 - I guess I need to call them for current information.

Is the antenna installation less robust than for a TAS?

EDLN and EDKB

So I think we're good with the fixed installation and connection. The German document above is from 2012 - I guess I need to call them for current information.

I think installation and connection are separate problems. The device can be installed with a minor change. But sending data into the primary navigation device would probably require at least DO178 software certification. As far as I know the Flarm does not have that certification.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Powerflarm core has a serial TIS interface for 495/695.... TRx1500 has an ARINC429 to connect to a GNS/GTN or G1000.

The big issue you can install it with a minor mod, but are not allowed to connect it to your primary GPS/FMS/MFD.

United Kingdom
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message