Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Leading edge protection tape - propeller or wings

Hi,

I was wondering whether I’d ask my shop to install PropGuard on my McCauley B3D36C prop. PropGuard

Not sure what EASA says about this product but I can clearly see the benefit. Our prop was overhauled last year and I can already feel the roughness on the leading edges.

Thanks for your opinions..

EDLN and EDKB

I’d just do it if the shop agrees. Nobody will ever object and in case somebody does, not that hard to remove, is it?

PROP GUARD is made from a special high strength heat processed polymer engineered for centrifugal loads. It is NOT just a piece of tape!

Isn’t the definition of “tape” just “high strength heat processed polymer”?

:) but it is “engineered for centrifugal loads”..

EDLN and EDKB

I don’t think that this is a great idea.
I had it on my prop for few years, the stones damage caused a rough leading edge as the tape cuts, so I used to replace it every year. One day I have noticed a larger cut but as it was winter and less flying I left it. Then summer arrived, more flying and less time to do the little things. One day I have noticed that the area turned white but did not think too much about what it might be, then it hit me, this was corrosion on the blade, the tape came off never to be fitted again.

It did protected the prop to some degree but not to the point that you would like.

I hope that this helped.

Thanks Ben,

That did help indeed.. and I’ve decided to live with the abrasion of the prop

Best regards
Martin

EDLN and EDKB

Is this stuff any good?

Can’t use it if you have TKS

I have previously seen this on propeller leading edges (above) but that was quite thick stuff. That may well be of more value because of damage from stones.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message