Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KLN94 improving flight deck annunciator, and KLN94 driving a G5, and KLN94 approved for GPS approaches?

Roll steering.

It is a more accurate way of getting an autopilot to make turns, and it enables complex turns to be carried out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I find it hard to believe that the KLN94 is not approved for IFR ( NP ) approaches. It is a slide in replacement for the KLN89b that with the correct software level is IFR approved.

Has someone not taken care to read the SB that would have been published when the software upgrade happened.

I might be wrong but why would King build an upgraded slide in replacement box with LESS capability than the old box ?

The problem with this kind of assertion (when my TB20 was new, 2002, and going on G-reg, the CAA inspector said the KLN94 is VFR-only, and demanded that the IFR modes are disabled) is that somebody needs to dig through some old manuals, find some precedent, and nobody is going to have the time to do that and then convince the installer.

The KLN94 was a standard fit in so many fully IFR certified planes of that era e.g. a C182 came with that King stack.

Administrator

I’ve done some digging around on this.

Of course a KLN94 is IFR approved, except for RNAV1 SIDs and STARs.

The issue, as I suspected, is the AFMS, and the local certification authority.

This post probably summarises the situation in the properly anally retarded manner. You need an AFMS for the GPS and the AFMS needs to permit whatever mode e.g. enroute IFR or GPS approaches.

Whether the candidate GPS appears in the G5 IM is not relevant. You need some way to get that AFMS, and it needs to be approved by the certification authority.

The simplest route is via a factory TC, so if you buy a plane which was ever equipped with a KLN94 ex-factory, just get hold of a copy of somebody’s POH from that era (roughly 2000-2004) and copy the AFMS, hole-punch it, and insert it into yours. And this will work with most planes, because most certified planes are IFR approved airframes, and an awful lot of them came with a KLN94 at some point. And if done in the US, GPS approaches would have been in the AFMS!

Except Socata is not in the US and they managed to pull some wool over their customers eyes in the US. Their AFMS excluded GPS approaches. I did an AFMS for my KLN94 to make approaches legal which – being N-reg – was done as a Field Approval. But I did that only because I have a “public profile” in GA via running a forum, which picked up a lot of good people from other forums. There are even people out there who don’t like the fact I have a website with trip writeups. And if somebody wanted to stab me in the back give me hassle, they could use this – because everybody can hear on the radio what you are doing. But a Joe Nobody doesn’t need to care. You just install a KLN94, think of it as VFR-only, and fly it. Prob90, the installer never even knew the IFR features can be disabled. They can’t be disabled on any GNS, etc. They can be re-enabled in a few minutes.

How you would do with with an EASA-reg plane, which never had a KLN94 ex-factory, for which a mod was never applied for (as far as you can find), then it is an EASA Major Mod and loads of €€€. Unless it can be done under one of the concessions (CS-STAN?) about which I know nothing. You still need the AFMS though… A specimen one is in the back of the KLN94 IM.

Administrator

You can get an EASA AFMS approved for RNAV 5 and NPA via a Form 32 (Minor change to AFM). A Part 21J with appropriate privileges can approve this directly with no Agency involvement.
If you want RNAV-1/PRNAV and LPV, EASA require this to be done via an STC.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Peter wrote:

I did an AFMS for my KLN94 to make approaches legal which – being N-reg – was done as a Field Approval.

Pretty much all IFR approvals prior to the GNS WAAS series were accomplished by field approvals. So the IM provides a sample AFMS which the installer needed to get submitted for approval via the field approval process. Only later with the GNS series, did the practice come along where doing a STC with an AML where the AFMS is part of the STC and merely needs to be printed out and added to the POH. Even in the STC case, one could modify the AFMS and request a field approval. The STC process was much simpler for the installer.

KUZA, United States

You can get an EASA AFMS approved for RNAV 5 and NPA via a Form 32 (Minor change to AFM). A Part 21J with appropriate privileges can approve this directly with no Agency involvement.

What would be the typical fee for this?

When I was trying to get my KLN94 approach approved, various shops were engaged to do it, within a £500 budget which they all accepted, and all failed to do it. It was NCyankee who eventually helped me to get it done.

Administrator

@wiggylamp thank you, also @NCYankee. It looks like there may be a route to present to the avionics engineers after Easter.

https://www.bennettavionics.com/ki-202-gps-vor-loc-indicator/

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/midann.php

This would disable the second CDI for the BK155 VOR LOC, and the KI208 and BK155 might be worth something on eBay if they are tagged when removed. The BK155 is not 8.33 so only useful for ATIS Volmet and 121.5.

I expect even with relatively inexpensive hardware this will be an expensive exercise.

I think the value of these original IFR GPS (I got my KLN94 for one AMU, but I see these old boxes now go for 2-3k), is preserving an IFR installation when something goes wrong with them. As I don’t have an original IFR installation I will need to examine my logic.

The choices are do nothing, get an IFR installation (feels like £3k probably after replacing stuff and getting the paperwork) or £10k for a GPS175 and GI275 installation.

As the Warrior has just passed the most thorough inspection with all, and I mean all ADs SBs up to date, (even future ones) it is probably not so insane to consider the third option. This once was worth 50% of the airframe, but in today’s market more like 15% google eyed emoji

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Hoping the euroga community might have some insight into getting any value for avionics that work that are pulled during an avionics refit.

Potentially the plan is pull the perfectly working KLN94, the working but non 8.33khz BK155 VOR/LOC, the KI209 and KI208, and replace with a GNC355A GPS COM 8.33 and either a GI275 or G5 in EHSI mode. I understand this will need a magnetometer. If this is too pricey post installation, then investigate a resolver as per the previous post and keep the KLN94 as a BRNAV only unit.

The panel would then have a GNC255 and a GNC355 displaying and annunciating with an EHSI, and linked to the S-tec 20. The existing CDIs holes would be blanked.

The kit that would be pulled seems to be worth around USD2k to 3k in the USA (presumably with a tag confirming operational), and am guessing half that wholesale. When an avionics upgrade occurs in Europe, do the removed, working units, find their way back to the USA second hand market?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I understand this will need a magnetometer.

You do need a fluxgate magnetometer to create a slaved compass system. The main challenge there tends to be the hacking of the hole in the wing, constructing the inspection cover for it, etc. Quite a bit of metalwork. Unless it can go in the tail.

When an avionics upgrade occurs in Europe, do the removed, working units, find their way back to the USA second hand market?

Probably… however, Americans tend to be a bit suspicious of European stuff, with many having got their fingers burnt, and there is no comeback.

I monitor a US for-sale group on FB and it astonishes me what absolute total junk people are selling on there. Or old used current-model boxes at just say 10% below the new price. Well, trying to sell. Unlike with Ebay, there is no way to view “completed listings” so you can’t tell what stuff actually sold for.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message