Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine calendar life, where mandatory?

German CAA is the closest to Part 91 you can find in Europe

you keep repeating that, but everything you say is the same as in HB reg, and it would surprise me if HB reg was actually liberal 8-)

Except for the Cessna SID, where FOCA is apparently happy know to open all inspection covers every couple of years and look for corrosion.

LSZK, Switzerland

See my response in the other thread, to summarize main reasons are:

• Transponder would need replacement
  • Painted tail number would need to be changed which would turn out ugly no matter how you do it
  • DAR inspection is always a risk
  • Maintaining FAA IR currency is more difficult than EASA currency
  • VAT situation could be problematic (don’t have original invoice from 1979 although airplane was never registered outside Germany)
  • Need new FAA validation because EASA changed my license number

It’s not such a clear thing as you put it. It has advantages but also serious disadvantages.

Last Edited by achimha at 08 Feb 10:54

Well, yes of course 6 years is a limit, sorry for the misunderstanding. But if THAT is the only reason, the overhaul of such a prop is not that expensive. Also afaik the blades are not automatically skimmed. All in all G-reg is still pretty competetive. Only the difference between the german avionics annual and the UK one will easily pay for the prop ovehaul.

Also afaik the blades are not automatically skimmed.

They are skimmed to remove nicks, so if you have a 4mm nick in one blade, all blades have 4mm+ skimmed off them. This means the €4k prop OH becomes a €10k-15k new prop after X OHs… My prop was GBP 11k in 2002. Hartzell mandate a scrapping of the hub if more than 1 blade needs removing for a repair, so a new prop tends to be installed, AIUI.

Only the difference between the german avionics annual and the UK one will easily pay for the prop ovehaul.

That is probably very true

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Transponder would need replacement

Care to explain? No FAA approval for yours?

VAT situation could be problematic (don’t have original invoice from 1979 although airplane was never registered outside Germany)

Oh yes, that might be a problem indeed, but I am no expert.

Need new FAA validation because EASA changed my license number

400€ one-off and a short visit to Frankfurt. Very minor issue I would say.

So, are you remaining on the D-reg now? How do/did you deal with the SID then?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Feb 11:44
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

By the way: In 2 weeks I’ll get my new 4 blade MT prop. That one has wide steel leading edges to the end of each blade, and they can be replaced too!

Only the difference between the german avionics annual and the UK one will easily pay for the prop ovehaul.

That assumes that you can get a UK avionics check at UK prices for an aircraft stationed in Germany. That is unfortunately untrue and flying to the UK for the purpose of an avionics check isn’t a great way to save money either.

So, are you remaining on the D-reg now? How do/did you deal with the SID then?

Not dealt with yet. LBA granted an extension until end of 2015 so there is still a bit of hope for something to change in my favor.

400€ one-off and a short visit to Frankfurt. Very minor issue I would say.

Obviously I would add a few hundred Euros on top of that and do it in the US. For IFR it also requires to do the written exam which I have done already (not very difficult) but I never had time to collect the license so the test expired.

Transponder would need replacement
Care to explain? No FAA approval for yours?

Indeed, I was surprised to learn that such devices exist. ETSO but no TSO.

Last Edited by achimha at 08 Feb 12:18

That assumes that you can get a UK avionics check at UK prices for an aircraft stationed in Germany. That is unfortunately untrue and flying to the UK for the purpose of an avionics check isn’t a great way to save money either.

Right. I have a guy in Germany though who will do it for about 1/6 of the price the typical avionics firm will take. And if he doesn’t do it anymore – i will rather make a short trip to the UK. Still cheaper than the avionics annual in Germany!

So, why 12 years? Why not 10?

Having thought about this for a day or so, here’s my guess… 12 years is half of twenty five years, rounded down. Maybe somebody saw that engines commonly have issues with corrosion at twenty five years and decided that the recommendation should be half of that time. A total guess but the arithmetic works.

Another theory: at age 12, puberty usually kicks in. That is a difficult time and needs teardown/inspection.

At least as good as your theory, isn’t it?

Sign in to add your message