Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

500h internal inspection of magneto (SLICK)

Hello everyone

I’m to program internal inspection of my magnetos.

Those are SLICK 66LC35SDNN (6351) on a C182.
I’ve performed two 500h internal inspection so far. One was 1000€ + vat. The second one was 360€ + vat.
I can’t say there has been an “operational” difference as the magneto has always worked well.
I don’t know either if the same work has been performed for each inspection (and same parts replaced).

My question is: what do you estimate to be the fair price for this work ?
Second question: where do you send your magneto for this inspection ?

Kind regards

€360+VAT is about what my club pays for magneto overhaul. We don’t send them anywhere – our regular maintenance shop does the overhaul.

If one of them was €1000+VAT then there must have been unexpected parts replacement. Check with the shop!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

€1000+VAT then there must have been unexpected parts replacement. Check with the shop!

It was years ago, and the invoice showed only “flat fee”, not mentioning any part replacement.

I would suggest checking the two threads below, under “Threads possibly related to this one”.

Costs do vary considerably, with some firms charging for what would be an overhaul but actually doing some subset of that. Overhaul is a lot more work e.g. you fully dismantle, strip all the paint off the cases, NDT them, repaint, replace a lot of stuff…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

«€360+VAT is about what my club pays for magneto overhaul. We don’t send them anywhere – our regular maintenance shop does the overhaul»

What is the name of this shop, @Airborne_Again ? This is very reasonable.

I just got a pair of brand new ones for €1800 for an O-360. Too many overhauls they said – and I’ve been troubled with them for the last hundred hours or so.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

ErlendV wrote:

What is the name of this shop, @Airborne_Again ? This is very reasonable.

Prokitor Aerotech . And I did say “about”, they’re do charge more, but not very much (≈20%). And considering Peter’s comment above, this is for “what needs to be done every 500 hrs.”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hello
Röder in Germany asks 380€ + VAT for this work, considering standard replacement parts, and TAT of 3-5 days.
It’s interesting because it helps determining the ballpark.

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message