Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Grumman AD on horizontal stabiliser

Here

The FAA has issued an airworthiness directive requiring horizontal stabilizer inspections of Grumman American AA–1, AA–1A, AA–1B, AA–1C, and AA–5 single-engine airplanes following a loss-of-elevator-control accident in January.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Scary indeed …

EDNW, Germany

The state of maintenance of said aircraft left something to be desired…

EGNS, Other

Oh the joys of plane ownership, 6 months into owning an almost 50 year old plane and a new AD comes out. I’ll do mine with my next annual.

It is funny/sad/curious that the determination of the structural integrity of a plane rests on the sound it makes when tapped with a coin.

EDRP, Germany

Can I ask you why sad? There are a lot of things where a rough/ fairly good idea of its structural integrity can be heard by just tapping.
Most wood and fabric aircraft being a prime example. The sound the wing on a Jodel makes when you drop a coin on it, gives you a fairly good idea as to the state of it.
Not very scientific I know but not sad surely.😏

France

There is a MIL-SPEC tool used for structural assessment by tapping lightly on the structure. Not much better if at all than a coin, but it impresses the FAA when referenced in a repair procedure. I’m not making this up A friend took the tool to an FAA meeting anticipating the worst and when as expected the neophyte ex-military-NCO FAA cube dwellers said you can’t just do a coin tap test to assess a composite structure, he pulled out the tool and said we’ll use this MIL-SPEC tool instead, in compliance with DER generated inspection data (meaning a procedure that he had written and supplied to the DER). That was much better

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Jul 21:40
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message