Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Correct ICAO PBN Codes for Garmin 430W on Flight Plan

This is a question I’ve been asked by a man buying our aeroplane. There are PBN codes that you can fill in, in field 18 on a flight plan. Garmin makes an effort to describe them here:

https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=hDbN1ryrqe4GkBour6SzC8

What would be the correct entry in field 18 of a flight plane for a 430W? If any?

Thanks,

William

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

That would be PBN: B2O2S1 for RNAV5, RNP1, RNP APCH? which is what you need to fly cruise, departures/arrrivals and approaches

https://static.garmincdn.com/apps/fly/files/support/icao-flight-plans/Garmin_ICAO_Flight_Plan_Information.xlsx

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Or “S2” instead of “S1” if the RNP APCH is LNAV/VNAV (rather than LNAV only).

I use PBN/A1B2C2D2L1O2S2 NAV/SBAS on a G1000W SR22.

Never had any queries from ATC, but Ibra’s response makes me wonder whether I should just include the best capabilities – if the equipment is RNP1 then presumably it meets RNP10 Oceanic requirements.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

We use PBN/B2S1 and this has never been queried

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Ibra wrote:

https://static.garmincdn.com/apps/fly/files/support/icao-flight-plans/Garmin_ICAO_Flight_Plan_Information.xlsx

But take note that Garmin’s table only shows the capabilities of the boxes themselves, not necessarily what the installation is approved for. You must look for that in the AFMS or similar document relating to the particular aircraft. E.g. lots of early GNS430 installations are not approved for RNAV 1 even though the box can do it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MarkW wrote:

I use PBN/A1B2C2D2L1O2S2 NAV/SBAS on a G1000W SR22.

Never had any queries from ATC, but Ibra’s response makes me wonder whether I should just include the best capabilities – if the equipment is RNP1 then presumably it meets RNP10 Oceanic requirements.

The PBN specifications include more things than just the accuracy, so you can’t in general say that if X < Y then if you can do RNP X, you can also do RNP Y.
For RNP 10 you need dual GPSs. A G1000 will have that, but not e.g. a single GTN unit even though the unit is RNP 1 capable.

Do you need to include “NAV/SBAS”? I’ve never done it and I don’t see what that information would be used for.

In the US, I use PBN/B2C2D2 and actually D2 by itself would suffice. There is no point in specifying the approach capability S1 or S2 or B as ATC does not care and it has no impact on filing or the ability to request or be cleared for an RNAV (GPS) approach (aka RNP approach). I would not use O2 even though it is approved for this because there are some US RNAV SID/STAR that require RF legs and they also require RNP 1 to be designated as well. The GNS430 series does not support RF legs. Also the oceanic codes of A1 and L1 require dual systems and in the US they require a LOA from the FAA. Other countries may have their own requirements. I also see no use for specifying NAV/SBAS.

KUZA, United States

Airborne_Again wrote:

so you can’t in general say that if X < Y then if you can do RNP X, you can also do RNP Y…For RNP 10 you need dual GPSs. A G1000 will have that, but not e.g. a single GTN unit even though the unit is RNP 1 capable

Yes the capability has to be in AFMS

Thanks for 2*GPS example that one was not abvious, but how about RNP X => RNAV X? if you are approved for RNP1 you can do RNAV1?

One can foce CDI scalling to match how the leg is coded (auto-scaling won’t work as away from airport it goes from TERM/ENR)
Or this has nothing to do with CDI range? (as it’s already on +/-2nm when flying RNAV5 legs with new GPS-W)

NCYankee wrote:

There is no point in specifying the approach capability S1 or S2 or B as ATC does not care and it has no impact on filing or the ability to request or be cleared for an RNAV (GPS) approach (aka RNP approach)

Make sense and it’s in-line with IAP not being in the FPL anyway
What is the ICAO code for “visual approach”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Yes the capability has to be in AFMS

And you need approval for certain PBN codes such as A1 and L1. In the US, you need to obtain a LOA from the FAA local FSDO.

KUZA, United States

Ibra wrote:

how about RNP X => RNAV X? if you are approved for RNP1 you can do RNAV1?

I don’t know – you’d have to check what the specifications include.

27 Posts
Sign in to add your message