Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Correct ICAO PBN Codes for Garmin 430W on Flight Plan

NCYankee wrote:

And you need approval for certain PBN codes such as A1 and L1. In the US, you need to obtain a LOA from the FAA local FSDO

Is that LOA linked to aircraft equipement? or also include the operator pilots?
T1 for RNP AR APCH goes as approval for operator + aircraft

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Here is a thread from the earliest days of EuroGA.

It is a good Q as to whether anybody cares about equipment codes. Those who actually know will almost never talk about it openly, because it touches ATC policies which are not openly published. But in general you can declare all kinds of stuff which you do not have, and nobody will notice. There have been suggestions that you may not be offered an RNAV procedure if your FP codes do not include B2 or D2 or whatever, but I am not sure any of that is true.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do you need to include “NAV/SBAS”? I’ve never done it and I don’t see what that information would be used for.

From Garmin: NAV/SBAS is entered to indicate WAAS capability and the ability to fly LPV approaches.

(https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=hDbN1ryrqe4GkBour6SzC8)

Selecting “B” from the equipment list in Field 10 also indicates LPV capability, so there does seem to be harmless duplication.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Is that LOA linked to aircraft equipement? or also include the operator pilots?
T1 for RNP AR APCH goes as approval for operator + aircraft

I believe both pilots and aircraft.

KUZA, United States

MarkW wrote:

Selecting “B” from the equipment list in Field 10 also indicates LPV capability, so there does seem to be harmless duplication.

Yes, B is what I use.

I just checked the IPFS User’s Manual and it did say you “should” use NAV to indicate GNSS augmentation like “NAV/SBAS”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MarkW wrote:

From Garmin: NAV/SBAS is entered to indicate WAAS capability and the ability to fly LPV approaches.

I have never been cleared for an LPV approach nor does ATC care if I have SBAS or not. I have flown hundreds of RNAV (GPS) approaches that have an LPV line of minima, but ATC doesn’t know I have chosen that line of minima nor if my aircraft is capable.

KUZA, United States

You will be cleared to fly RNP anyway the minima will depend on your annunciation? if it’s an RNP approach with “LOI annunciation” your minima is MSA

But ATC care to know if you are PBN/RNP or Conventional…

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Jul 17:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

A while ago I spent a while trying to figure this out for a non -w 430. I decided to just use B2C2D2O2S1. I leave out the oceanic stuff because I know it needs approval, the rest I add what Garmin says the box is capable of. It is made much too difficult in my opinion to find the letter of the law on this and as mentioned already, it doesn’t really matter anyway. I have tried my best to be correct and if I have it wrong then so be it.

United Kingdom

NCYankee wrote:

I have never been cleared for an LPV approach

Of course not. You’re cleared for an RNP approach. What minimum line you use is not something ATC cares about.

In Europe, ATC (or rather flow control) does care about your minimum RVR, but I don’t think that’s relevant for CAT I operations.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 30 Jul 19:37
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Of course not. You’re cleared for an RNP approach. What minimum line you use is not something ATC cares about.
You might have been cleared for an RNP approach that requires GNSS, but I have never been cleared for an RNP approach, only an RNAV approach and they require GPS.
Last Edited by NCYankee at 30 Jul 19:56
KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message