Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Replacing GTX327 with GTX330, but which one?

HBadger wrote:

I’m potentially going to upgrade to G3X later, so the gtx345 is hopefully “future proof”.

For that reason I chose a less costly GTX335 with no ADS-B IN, only FAA compliant ADS-B OUT. The 345 compatibility with whatever you connect to the IN data is not assured for an indefinite period. I don’t expect anything about the OUT data requirement to change (with e.g. the FAA) in the foreseeable future.

For ADS-B IN I instead use a Stratus portable that can be tossed and replaced easily with a unit that matches any future traffic and weather display. All portable and uncertified for additional flexibility.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Aug 18:55

Silvaire wrote:

For that reason I chose a less costly GTX335 with no ADS-B IN, only FAA compliant ADS-B OUT. The 345 compatibility with whatever you connect to the IN data is not assured for an indefinite period. I don’t expect anything about the OUT data requirement to change (with e.g. the FAA) in the foreseeable future.

For ADS-B IN I instead use a Stratus portable that can be tossed and replaced easily with a unit that matches any future traffic and weather display. All portable and uncertified for additional flexibility.

Well, the cost difference between 335 and 345 is small and for years to come it is a good option and it SHOWS the ADSB-IN on main instruments.

EGTR

List price difference is 345 for $5795 versus 335 $3795, both with WAAS.

Discounts on the 335 (only) prior to the US ADS-B deadline meant the 345 was double the price for me, then. The non-current, portable (on paper anyway) Stratus 2S that I’d bought previously for ADS-B IN was about $500 new. Its a good setup given that I’m not interested in IFR.

I prefer to plan my plane-related purchases to work for decades to come, not years to come, but obviously that’s just a personal preference as is the not unrelated choice to avoid integrating ADS-B traffic and weather into installed avionics. Integration of approved installations is not my ownership and maintenance preference and I like my transponder to be a transponder, nothing else, and my radio to be a radio, nothing else. And so on.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Aug 20:17

I’m currently considering a GTX 345 for the same reason.
The driver for me is to get traffic on my mounted screens (AFS4500 and GNS 430W).
Trouble is, traffic on my ipad via Skyecho is 1/10th the price……….

Forever learning
EGTB

Update: will put in a gtx328 as an interim solution. It’s easy to install and I got a good deal. It should be enough for Europe as the plane is less than 12500lbs and less than 250kts cruise.

To satisfy the US ADS-B requirement, we use the existing uavionix UAT. Will turn it off when in Europe as it is not allowed here.

I still think a 345 would be best, but it’s too difficult to mount. No avionics shop had time for this on short notice. So will do that later.

Switzerland

HBadger wrote:

will put in a gtx328 as an interim solution.

It’s a 328 that I’m considering removing. What’s the second hand value of a 328?

Forever learning
EGTB

It’s around 1000 usd in USA. I could trade in my 327, so net was less for me.

Switzerland
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message