Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Hall of Shame (a Jeppesen, Garmin and Cessna story)

Malibuflyer wrote:

Very simple: Because the market for it is too small. The problem we are talking about does only apply to pilots that fly enough IFR that they are willing to pay 1k+ per year for showing Jep Charts on their avionics but not enough to invest in a WAAS upgrade. I assume that there are very few IFR pilots that still have non WAAS avionics in Europe.

What a strange sentence.

I repeat: going “WAAS” is not a solution for Cessna aircrafts. To solve the problem, you have to bring your GDU (= the screens) to software revision 15.25 and newer. On Cessnas, even with WAAS, you can’t update your G1000 GDUs above 13.11. I think other aircrafts have the same limitation, @Emir may tell us for Diamond.

Malibuflyer wrote:

Despite the fact that the catalogue of the Garmin Webshop still lists the product as “available” (but you can not order it there) there is no evidence at all that Garmin is still selling the enablement card to owners of Non-WAAS G1000.

@Malibuflyer we could do an experiment. Would you ask your avionics shop to request availability for PN#010-00330-53 ? I’d like the answer comes from you.

Also, would you tell us what kind of avionics you fly with ?

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

@Malibuflyer we could do an experiment.

Happy to do it – but I can already tell you the answer: “Sure it is available but it doesn’t make any sense for you as you do not have a G1000 in your plane and therefore you can not use it”. The part No. refers to the JeppView-Unlock Card that is working with all versions of the G1000. For some it makes still sense to buy and use and for others it doesn’t.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Also, would you tell us what kind of avionics you fly with ?

Sure: Triple G500txi (Pilot, Co-Pilot and EIS), GTN750, GTN650, etc.

Germany

On Cessnas, even with WAAS, you can’t update your G1000 GDUs above 13.11. I think other aircrafts have the same limitation, @Emir may tell us for Diamond.

DA42 TDI is still on 9.x WAAS or not but Diamond promised to deliver 15.x by the end of this year (which will not happen) and postponed it for the next one.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

So I expect Diamond aircrafts to have the same problem with Chartview as I have.
Emir, you’re welcomed to share on Diamond forum if you want.
Edit; for those who may be concerned, note my coverage is Central Europe VFR + IFR. During troubleshooting process with jeppesen, we have demonstrated that, for a given cycle, IFR only database would not cause the bug. VFR + IFR would cause it. In the latter case, i have also tried subsetting smaller area without positive result.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 25 Sep 19:42
74 Posts
Sign in to add your message