Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Overhaul delays

@denopa

the only shop I know and have dealt with very recently for my shockload inspection (and overhaul earlier on) was Cermec in Puidoux (near Lausanne). I can fully recommend them. They are reasonably fast (3 weeks for the shockload including sourcing and replacing the crankcase and about 4 weeks for the complete overhaul in 2014) and their prices are quite fair too.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I fear such an overhaul is well over 100kEUR. We had ours overhauled around 2013 and it took half a year until the plane was back in the air. Maybe ask Rocket Engineering if they have a used engine ready to go?

Unfortunately spending money on new parts before overhaul is lost money. They will simply redo everthing at full cost to certify the overhaul.

If your cylinders are new and you can not wait maybe just change the camshaft and tappets? Usually you would not do it as only the overhaul adds resale value to your plane but if the alternative is to wait for a year?

If you buy a camshaft and tappets make sure to buy the kit which used to be much cheaper than individual parts.

There is apparently some STC which adds real lubrication to the camshaft. Today I would consider it. I have yet to see a Lycoming cam come out of an engine which is not spalled.

To make a decision you could also have the engine disassembled and inspected first. I remember this was not so expensive, maybe 5k EUR. Then you can decide to simply put it back together or go for a full overhaul. But remember you can no longer send in an opened engine as a core to the US.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

You probably mean the CentriLube STC

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Last I heard, the Centrilube STC is FAA only. That was some years ago.

I fear such an overhaul is well over 100kEUR

Isn’t that because you have to do the turbo, and the whole exhaust system is regarded as shagged. I recall the OH of a TIO540 (TB21) is c. €100k, whereas the TB20 IO540 is around €30-40k. Still doesn’t account for the difference though. I have some old numbers (2008) here with the numbers back then being $48k versus $32k, but the $48k did not include a new exhaust which can easily run to 20k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Isn’t that because you have to do the turbo, and the whole exhaust system is regarded as shagged.

I remember that price does not even include the exhaust. The TIO540-AE2A with twin turbos, twin alternators, twin vac pumps etc. is about as expensive as it get for a traditional 6 cylinder engine. Back then when I did look into this only factory remanufactured engines included a complete new exhaust. So if you needed that the factory option was the cheapest option.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

It seems that both Lycoming and Continental are challenged to deliver engines and parts currently. Very, very long lead times on many parts and engines. Take a look at this link that shows overhauled engines availability at Continental: http://continental.aero/engines/stock-engine-list.aspx

I also recommend CERMEC. Pascal, the big boss, is somebody I trust implicitly.

LFPN Toussus le Noble, France

We had a discussion on this recently and I posted a response from a respected US engine shop (which I can’t find right now) saying that the issue is nothing like as bad as some vendors claim.

Remember that, as with all the other shortages e.g. chips, it is totally in the interest of all the suppliers to extend and prolong any shortage, because it fills up their order pipeline, and does so at top prices.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No problem with engines from Rotax.

Propeller manufacturers are quoting very long lead times at the moment.

Hartzell have just quoted me for a new prop and they estimate delivery in June 2022!!

EGLK, United Kingdom

Re-opening an old thread.
I gave my engine to Norvic pre-pandemic for rebuild then didn’t want it back until my aircraft was ready to receive it. (post crash repairs)
Post pandemic (May this year) I asked for it back. initially they didn’t have an issue but three months later and three missed delivery dates I still haven’t got it back.
Since I need them to run it and complete the Form 1, what leverage do I have?

Forever learning
EGTB
Sign in to add your message