Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jodel D120 IFR?

There are lots of potential issues with Robin/Jodel types and “legal” IFR authorisation or equipment. One thread is here and a proper horror story is here although that one is more indicative of the owner having chosen a shop for all the wrong reasons.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter that is related to the certified Robin, which is a cousin of later Jodel models. The Jodel D120 in question is an LAA permit aircraft so it’s an entirely different subject

United Kingdom

If you need legal IFR then you will probably need certified avionics, anywhere in Europe. That is certainly true for US Experimentals in the US.

It’s true that you may not need STC coverage for the installation though. That’s an interesting variation…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I always thought the bigger D.140 (Mousquetaire) was IFR certified, but a quick Google shows only a few were. An article says one (F-BOPS) took 9 months for the application to be approved by the DGAC. I was hoping for a precedent in France, but I doubt any D.120s were ever IFR. I assume the one you’re looking at is also factory-built by SAN, so originally certified and not homebuilt. It sounds like it will come down to what the LAA decide: do you know of a friendly inspector you can talk to?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Thanks all for the comments! lots to consider. I have reached out to a LAA inspector and the LAA. theres never been a IFR D120 on the laa register, but in theory it IS possible. (probably once the paperowk is heavier than the aircraft, as the saying goes).

South Cave, United Kingdom

Not wanting to drift this thread too far, but does anyone have details of a 2-axis autopilot installation in a Jodel D140E?

I found a wing-leveller fitted to G-JRME –

and fitting a pitch servo to operate the elevator horn looks fairly straightforward.

But it’s sometimes easier to copy/improve than to start with a blank page and there are many more Mousquetaires in France…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

https://groups.io/g/JodelAircraft
I searched “D140 Autopilot” and got a thread.
I copied it, but I’m not happy to paste it to EuroGA..

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thanks, I’ve applied to join…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Time to revive this thread. I have purchased a gns430 which i plan to fit and now conidering antenna locations.

problem number 1: the jodel featires an all moving vertical fin, ive only ever known vor antennas be mounted on the vertical fin. Where would it be best to place this antenna? The aicraft is a wooden frame so shoudnt cause too much intererance. was thinking on the rear rusulage. but above or below?

South Cave, United Kingdom

We had a VOR in G-AZAD, DR1050, but I don’t remember where the aerial was. I think it was underneath. That DR1050 was lost in 1999.
Our radio and Mode S aerials in G-AZWF were inside the rear fuselage. Both worked satisfactorily. The DR1050 has a large access hatch behind the rear seat and tank.
VOR is receive only, so distance from occupants doesn’t matter.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message