Help me decide on an upgrade path

Here is the list of current equipment:

PS Engineering PMA8000B Audio Panel
Garmin G600 EFIS system
Garmin GNS 530 W (WAAS) GPS/NAV/COM
Garmin GNC-250XL GPS/COM
Garmin GTX-328 Transponder
Garmin GDL69A Sirius XM Weather Receiver
Dual DIN DVD/Stereo → I want to rip this out. who watches DVDs in a small SEP?!
Dynon D10A backup EFIS
JPI EDM-930 color engine monitor w/capacitance fuel probes
TruTrak Sorcerer autopilot

I want to replace the TruTrak autopilot with a GFC500 as it seems to be the best SEP autopilot. My airframe is a Glasair III, quite sensitive on the controls, especially pitch. N-reg experimental, so that should give some freedom to “mix-and-match”.

My type of flying: cross country in light IFR, VFR local flights through the Alps, light aerobatics. Situational awareness is super important to me, e.g. I would like to see traffic on the moving map (Flarm?), I want them to see me electronically, I want to see the IFR procedures as much as possible on the map (should be doable with the current setup though). Synthetic vision I already have. Weather would be nice.

Budget: I am willing to invest good money, but I don’t want to waste money.

Other than AP, what kind of upgrades would make sense? All at once or staggered?

Switzerland

Frankly, with the exception of the autopilot, I can’t really see any need to spend money here.

To add: I have no idea about the TruTrak a/p. The GFC500 is great – when it works. In our club fleet one C182 has it, together with a GNS430W and two G5s. Fabulous setup, but we keep having trouble getting these things to talk to each other. The main issue, surprisingly, seems to be between the G5s and the GFC500.

Agree with 172driver, good AP with a easy interface on the Dynon and the 530 makes good sense.
carl

Inspector Dude A&P IA
21D, United States

HBadger wrote:

I would like to see traffic on the moving map (Flarm?)

I don’t own this, even though I wish i did, but the only certified solution I am aware of to display “all” traffic signals the way Power Flarm does onto a GNS530W and other Garmin devices via GDL90 or Garmin TIS is the AT-1 by Air Avionics. It sends and receives FLARM signals, as well as ADS-B and Mode S (without directional guidance).

https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=253

https://www.air-store.eu/epages/AIRStore-LuftfahrtbedarfundAvionik.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/AIRStore-LuftfahrtbedarfundAvionik/Products/AT-1

Flarm themselves have a device called “Power Flarm Fusion” but to my knowledge it is not certified to be connected with a GNS530W, however, in your case this may be different as you are experimental.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 25 Jan 05:39
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Flarm themselves have a device called “Power Flarm Fusion” but to my knowledge it is not certified to be connected with a GNS530W, however, in your case this may be different as you are experimental.

According to Standard Change SC051c (CS-STAN):

Data bus/data connectivity between the FLARM device and other equipment which is:
• ETSO-authorised (or the equivalent); or
• required by the TCDS, AFM or POH; or
• required by other applicable requirements such as those for operations and airspace,
is not allowed unless the FLARM device is explicitly listed by its manufacturer as compatible equipment to which the other equipment can be connected

So this applies to the GNS530W.

In preparation for a FLARM installation in a PA28, I wrote to FLARM Technology Ltd and asked about this. They replied that the devices shown on their ‘Product selector’ page are compatible equipment. This includes both the GNS and GTN series of navigators. (At the time of installation, FLARM Technology had removed the Garmin TIS feature from the PowerFLARM equipment so a connection was not relevant. I understand that this feature has now been reinstated.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Jan 08:39
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

They replied that the devices shown on their ‘Product selector’ page are compatible equipment. This includes both the GNS and GTN series of navigators.

I looked at the page but I still can not make head or toe out of it. If I go onto the product page of the “Fusion” device, it does not show the GTN/GNS series as compatible. So I am not convinced that they can be connected?

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I looked at the page but I still can not make head or toe out of it. If I go onto the product page of the “Fusion” device, it does not show the GTN/GNS series as compatible. So I am not convinced that they can be connected?

On the product page, you click on “Secondary Displays” and you will find, among others, the GTN and GNS series. According to my e-mail conversation with FLARM Technology, these units shown are all approved by them. But of course if I were you, I would want to ask them myself.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Looks to me like their way to say “Of course it works but legally we are not allowed to recommend it because it is obviously not allowed in certified aircraft…”

Germany

Airborne_Again wrote:

But of course if I were you, I would want to ask them myself.

I asked my avionics shop about a year ago last time and they maintain that these devices can not be coupled with any certified IFR box. Only the AT1 can.

Standard avonics shop position is: not on the STC = cannot be connected. Various threads – example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message