Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help me decide on an upgrade path

HBadger wrote:

don’t need a GFC 500 but instead can go with a G5X + GMC507, which changes the cost equation somewhat. Choices over choices :)

Do you mean G5?

That’s still a GFC500 system. The GMC507 is just a mode control panel, which you need with a G5 but which is optional with a G3X. The actual A/P computer is in the G3X or G5, depending on what you’re using. According to the Garmin GFC 500 web page, possible GFC 500 configurations are:

G5 + GMC507 + servos
G3X (+ optional GMC507) + servos
G500 + G5 (+ optional GMC507) + servos

All three variants are possible in both certified and non-certified aircraft.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Jan 07:33
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

But I suppose it has accelerometers to complement the barometric feedback.

Yes; internal. More instant than using an external attitude source like a KI256. They just aren’t accurate in absolute terms; for that you need a KI256 or some such, but then one rarely needs an “absolute pitch” because the pitch is integrated up or down anyway to achieve altitude hold. PIT mode is dead useful though for climbing to or near the operating ceiling.

the fact that I don’t have HDG function automatically means I cannot fly NAV

Well, one “could” do it, all you need is a crude yaw gyro, which is a peanuts-cost chip. But it should also be possible to track a GPS track without any yaw or HDG source, if you have a 5Hz+ GPS (which is standard today but wasn’t 20 years ago). It is much harder with a VOR/LOC because you just get deviation data, nothing absolute which could be tracked.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do you mean G5?

Yes sorry, they are all called G5, but there is still a difference between the experimental version vs the certified:
G5 is either Attitude Indicator OR DG/HSI USD 2,595.00
G5 Experimental (can be switched between EFIS and DG/HSI) USD 1,340.00

The configuration I would go for is this (prices in USD):
GMC507 1,239.00
G5 Experimental (can be switched between EFIS and DG/HSI) 1,340.00
G5 Battery pack 250.00
Servos 3x GSA 28 865.00 = 2,595.00
GAD™ 29 data interface adapter 499.00
GMU 11 magnetometer 370.00

Switzerland

HBadger wrote:

Yes sorry, they are all called G5, but there is still a difference between the experimental version vs the certified:
G5 is either Attitude Indicator OR DG/HSI USD 2,595.00
G5 Experimental (can be switched between EFIS and DG/HSI) USD 1,340.00

There’s no difference between the certified and non-certified versions, except the price and the paperwork. You can switch a certified G5 between HSI and AI as well. Ask me how I know.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Jan 07:09

Airborne_Again wrote:

There’s no difference between the certified and non-certified versions, except the price and the paperwork. You can switch a certified G5 between HSI and AI as well. Ask me how I know.

Not even a license/enabler key?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Not even a license/enabler key?

If you buy the G5 as an HSI, no. If you buy the G5 as an AI then it is limited to being just an AI. But I don’t know if that is because of a block in the software or lack of connected sensors (e.g. magnetometer) for the AI version.

26 Posts
Sign in to add your message