Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 Front seat belts overhaul ?

Dear TB owners & friends,

there is an issue with the belt retractor at the front seat in our TB 20, that requires overhaul / replacement. We have the “automobile-style” belts (automatic retractor, belt buckle with the red button to release…)
IPC mentiones various types used there in the past, last valid version seems to be a belt from Anjou Aeronautique.
→ Already contacted them, they have a really impressive Servicewoman, whose commitment to our problem far exceeds all expectations.
But unfortunately the do not have these type of belts in their portfolio.

Did anyone of you had an issue with these type of belts in the past, and can inform regarding a company doing the overhauls for these?

Thank you in advance,
Cheers
Martin

EDTG, Germany

Have you tried socata.org? Although I have heard about enormous prices like 1300 USd for a set…

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

It is Citroen 2CV seatbelt actually. You can get one at the2CVshop.co.uk for example. You say that you have “automobile-style” seatbelt but in fact it is automobile seatbelt. No one will be able to find a difference. There are quite many automobile parts on TB-20, for example the plastic clips that hold sunshades are from old Mercedes :-).

LKHK, Czech Republic

Read the tag on the seat belt you’re replacing, read it exactly. Does it mention TSO C22? If so, the seat belts you buy to replace must also have this tag, and be obtained from a supplier who can provide a form 1 for them.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I know there is a shop in Germany that can refurbish them for reasonable prices. I’m not sure the name, as this is part of a bigger refurb on my TB, but I can find out if you’re interested.

EHRD, Netherlands

Pytlak wrote:

You say that you have “automobile-style” seatbelt but in fact it is automobile seatbelt. No one will be able to find a difference.

I had heard this as well, but in fact it’s not exactly the same and you cannot use automotive ones on a certified aircraft.

EHRD, Netherlands

Hello everyone,

Quote I had heard this as well, but in fact it’s not exactly the same and you cannot use automotive ones on a certified aircraft.

I’m not sure if this is still the case under Part ML. My understanding is that you can legally use “owner approved parts” in many cases, as long as it is not a part that:
- has a life limit
- is structural, or
- forms part of the control system

I am sure one could dig out the relevant documents somewhere deep inside the EASA webpage, but this might be quicker: take a look at the 2021 EASA info sessions on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTfS24aKkJn5URXksdPgtwdrqyR0J3wm_
In Section 3 (Airworthiness & Maintenance), from about 41:00 onwards they discuss this exact issue. So theoretically, unless your seatbelt retractor has a manufacturer-imposed life limit, you should be able to change it for the equivalent automotive part. No Form 1 required.

LERM, Spain

Yes, under EASA there is this concession which ought to cover it – even if most maintenance companies refuse to touch it because it is a revenue-reducing route.

I recall the main challenge was finding the Citroen part which is exactly the same. The 2CV has been out of production for many years, so I don’t know how Socata get around this today. I would expect them to source a similar part and print off an EASA-1 for it under their EASA-21 authority.

Of course the whole spare parts industry uses the “not identical” route to stop people using OEM/retail parts… starting with assigning special part numbers to everything which don’t google to any standard part.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I bought the part from the shop I am referring to in my previous post back in 2017. It was no problem to fit it and it works well.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Thank you guys for your support and feedback!
As it is an certified aircraft, we intend to go with certified parts / respectively we are looking for overhaul of the belt inkluding “paper”.
There may be a solution we are currently working on with the info from dutch_flyer, ill keep you posted as soon as there are more facts.

Regarding the optional replacement topic (as said, we first like to check every possibility regarding overhaul):
The replacement belts are made by Anjou and also sold by Socata. Price per pcs is quite eyewatering ;-)
BUT these are technically different from the original “Citroen” ones. The new ones are more aviation style, they do not have the latch with the “red button thing” to put it in, but they have a “fixed” belly-belt closed with an aviation style lock and the shoulderbelt which is retractable is fixed by some kind of a lug at the buckle. Quite difficult to explain and my english is not the best. If you enter the new (and only valid) part no TB10 79013105 in the IPC and look at the pic you will immediately understand ;-)

Cheers
Martin

Last Edited by Bolle50 at 28 Jan 09:12
EDTG, Germany
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message