Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530 VLOC needs service

I started to receive "VLOC needs service" message on GNS530. Turning off and on sometimes helps but after a while GNS loses NAV again. Connectors checked, seem fine, antenna ok (works for NAV2 radio). Any ideas what to check before sending unit for repair?

Emir

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Removed from aircraft and sending to Straubing :(

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The unit has been damaged by DHL in transport :( broken VOL buttons both for COM and NAV. I hope nothing else has been damaged inside the box.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That's really bad.

We use DHL all the time at work and frequently they smash up stuff going to the Far East.

I hope they pay up. There is a very strict time limit for the claim and you must get photos of both the equipment and the carton used for shipping.

I'd like to know what "VLOC needs service" means... This is all I found.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unfortunatelly, there's more damage than broken buttons - technician who opened unit reported some internal damage due to bad packaging. Pictures are sent to DHL and they at least expressed the interest to get info on damage and cost of repair. I really don't understand how someone can mishandle the unit that you clearly state as "worth $10.000 and fragile" and pay €150 to send it to 5 hours driving or 1 hour flying distant location.

BTW there's no info about "VLOC needs service" on the Internet besides the one you posted.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The package handlers can't read. They completely ignore any markings on the packages. Throwing stuff down a few feet onto a hard surface is pretty normal.

And DHL is probably the best courier firm, in Europe...

With a bit of luck you will get a new GNS530 out of this, because if you drop a product like that, you can crack a PCB and the cracks will not be visible, and may not show up for months or longer.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Luckily Garmin asked flat rate for repair (€795) and in total with shipping and VAT it's €980 - already paid and waiting for unit to be returned in 14 days. In paraller I'm trying to claim something from DHL. Problem is that Garmin can't issue invoice which distinguished previous device fault from transport damage. Any idea?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Do you have any, or can Garmin provide, a price for a "VLOC Service"? Or would that have been a flat rate repair as well, as a lot of Garmin repairs are?

If DHL get hold of anything that confirms to them the "technician who opened unit reported some internal damage due to bad packaging", they will wash their hands of any claim, and if you are not really out of pocket it might not be worth the hassle of making the claim.

Biggin Hill

Based on my case and what I've heard from the others, it's always flat rate. I've got info that in US it's about $950, so the quote I got was in the same range.

I have pictures of unit when I handed it to DHL and pictures when delivered to Straubing - the difference is obvious :( and I got recomendation from Straubing how much I can claim from DHL to participate in overall cost.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Did DHL package it for you? Surely you packed the unit, and if so they will just say you should have done it better.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message