Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Difference between KMD550 and KLN94 cartographic update

I´m wondering why one can update a KMD 550 moving map system with a cartographic database update only on the one hand and on the other hand one can update a KLN 94 system additionally with cartographic and aeronautical update?
In the meantime I found in the manual that the KLN 94 Compact flash cartograhpic data are only updated when ordering/exchange the KLN 94 compact flash card which requires an additional media fee.
However, whats the advantage of updating both or only the KLN 94 areonautical database via internet download but not the compact flash implemented cartographic data? Oddly enough the fresh updated KLN 94 database didn´t contain / show one of the new restricted military areas in Germany on the KMD 550. How can this be explained?

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

The only thing a KLN94 sends to a KMD550 is the route, plus instrument approach patterns (only GPS approaches are shown in full; conventional “overlays” are usually incomplete).

I haven’t updated my KMD550 in about 12 years. It is just land, airports, obstacles, etc.

Any “cartographic” data on the KLN94 will be for the benefit of its tiny map which, like a GNS430 map, is nearly useless.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message