Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot / SkyEcho

In case anyone else wants to throw in some support…

I noticed Garmin are now support Stratux and Stratus 3 devices as traffic sources for Garmin Pilot. These use GDL 90 protocol as does SkyEcho so in theory should be able to work in the same way, but doing some digging it appears Garmin are “identifying” these devices in the app via the default device IP’s / SSID’s.

I emailed Garmin Feedback suggesting that adding SkyEcho support, given it has become almost a “default” device in the UK might be kind of nice… I was surprised to get a response fairly quickly:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

At this time only the Stratus 3 and Stratux will work with the Garmin Pilot application officially (as well as the Garmin approved ADS-B receivers).

I have put in a Request to add compatibility for the Uavionix Sky Echo

If you are also a Garmin Pilot and SkyEcho user, maybe consider doing a similar thing to show the userbase. The email address to provide feedback on Garmin Pilot is [email protected]

EGBP, United Kingdom

You can try changing the SkyEcho SSID in the admin interface. There is also a way of changing the IP but requires a HEX editor and the firmware binary, and you can brick your device =)

ESME, ESMS

No, but as you say I suspect one of these will work. We actually have a single shared device in the aircraft, so I’m not in a position to going breaking it. Given this would be an easy win for Garmin, now they have evidently decided to be a bit more “open”, it would be nice to have it running officially, so a few more requests might just nudge an easy job over the line.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

You can try changing the SkyEcho SSID in the admin interface. There is also a way of changing the IP but requires a HEX editor and the firmware binary, and you can brick your device =)

It is not that easy. The ADL devices currently can fake a stratux but this requires sending a special stratux formated data packet. It does not seem to care about IP or SSID. But just wait a bit I hope more devices will be added.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Just an update to this thread. As of V11.0 of Garmin Pilot released yesterday there is now support for SkyEcho added.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Incidentally, if anyone else would like Garmin Pilot to support PilotAware, please drop a line to [email protected]

It’s already on their “feature request spreadsheet”, but a few more emails might bump it up the list.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message