Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EHSI options other than GI-275 to replace KI-525A

My KI-525A is acting up, and I’m debating installation of an EHSI vs fixing/replacing it with the same unit. It looks like the only options on the market that work with legacy autopilots are the GI-275 or a second hand Sandel. Am I missing any other candidates? Of course I know the Aspen is also a possibility, but that’s pretty major surgery.

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

Of course I know the Aspen is also a possibility, but that’s pretty major surgery.

As well as G500TXi/G3X, and that is major surgery as well. I think @Peter has done an extensive research on what is compatible…

EGTR

I have a KI252 ( with bootstrap) and a Gyro both with EASA form 1’s that I would sell for the a reasonable price.

Garmin G5 is a possibility. Fewer functions than GI 275, but less expensive and a more mature product with fewer bugs.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

Garmin G5 is a possibility. Fewer functions than GI 275, but less expensive and a more mature product with fewer bugs.

I think the OP mentioned the compatibility with legacy A/Ps and I’m not sure if G5 is?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

I think the OP mentioned the compatibility with legacy A/Ps and I’m not sure if G5 is?

Yes, it’s compatible with most legacy APs. It emulates roll steering by gradually slewing the AP target heading.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

This legacy Bendix King KI825 I believe is quite a good instrument, and hopefully still supported.

https://www.seaerospace.com/sales/product/BendixKing/KI-825/066-01179-0303

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

This legacy Bendix King KI825 I believe is quite a good instrument, and hopefully still supported.

https://www.seaerospace.com/sales/product/BendixKing/KI-825/066-01179-0303

@RobertL18C, this site lists only one option with the price actually specified and it is $16K. A bit steep! :)

EGTR

The 825 is unreliable, has poor readability and AFAIK is long out of production.

The Sandel SN3500 is a good EHSI replacement with a well specified 525 replacement procedure. See writeup on my website. I installed two of them. They are not selling much into GA now because the whole business wants easy work which means Garmin and AML STCs. It is a powerful instrument with a quality build.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But it’s in the 15k range as well these days, isn’t it?

I guess the reason why they don’t sell too much into GA is that beyond the <5k Garmin offerings, people who spend 15k+ on an HSI would rather go for the whole thing and go Aspen or even TXI/G3X – leaving the Sandel to a niche market where the panel doesn’t allow for an other option.

Germany
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message