Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can CAA reduce ARC validity on ownership transfer?

The Romanian CAA is saying our ARC expires one year after ownership transfer, which translates to 9 months less than the original expiration. Is this something they can legally do, when our certificate clearly states that it is valid?

EHRD, Netherlands

Can you elaborate on the „9 months less“?

Isn’t an ARC valid 1 year? So if it’s valid 12 months from change of ownership, how can that be shorter than the 1 year validity?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 03 May 15:57
always learning
LO__, Austria

The ARC certificate shows validity to November. I purchased the airplane in February of 2021, and it was current at that time. So clearly it was intended to be valid more than one year.

EHRD, Netherlands

I do not really understand. Wasn’t the last ARC issued in November 2021?
I can not find a reference that says that the validity should change due to an ownership transfer.

ESSZ, Sweden

It seems we had a 3-year ARC under the previous CAMO, and that there’s a requirement for annual extension:

EHRD, Netherlands

Yes, a CAMO/CAO can extend the ARC, every three years a new one is issued and the airplane is required to be on site physically.

That doesn’t change the 1 year ARC validity though, after which it either needs to be extended when in a controlled environment (CAMO/CAO) or issued by a 145/approved 66/CAMO CAO or authority.

I think in your case what the authority means is that since ownership changed and there is no controlled environment the ARC needs to be issued again?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I think in your case what the authority means is that since ownership changed and there is no controlled environment the ARC needs to be issued again?

Agree this seems to be the case. So I am trying to arrange a new ARC as quickly as I can. Frankly the ARC thing seems like redundant paperwork, when there’s already an annual inspection. I don’t really understand the purpose.

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

Agree this seems to be the case. So I am trying to arrange a new ARC as quickly as I can. Frankly the ARC thing seems like redundant paperwork, when there’s already an annual inspection. I don’t really understand the purpose.

The ARC is independent of the annual. It’s like your car’s technical inspection (if the Netherlands have those) which is independent of the yearly service. So the ARC is issued by the CAA upon their inspection (or, in the case of a CAMO, the inspection by the CAMO). The plane has to be in annual to get a new ARC (as the Annual is mandiatory maintenance) but otherwise, it works fine.

Actually, the 3 year Annual extensions is one of the best things you get with a CAMO. I am very happy with the way this works with mine.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message