Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Removing a modification done under an STC

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

If you want to remove the antenna and apply a patch, you cannot use CS-STAN. You need a Minor Mod approval with EASA which will take 1-2 months to get.

This isn’t totally true. Where the aircraft maintenance manual references AC43-13 as the acceptable means of repair (as many non-pressurised light aircraft do) then an old antenna hole can be closed using the procedure in AC43-13-1B section 4-58 (f). For other types, the SRM (Structural Repair Manual) will often have similar means of repair.

Back to the original post and in some cases, camera installations can involve significant structural changes. On PA31 and F406 aircraft that I’ve been involved with, this included re-routing elevator and rudder cables around a camera aperture with new pulleys and cutting major components to create the required hole in the belly. Whilst you don’t need to revert to the original STC holder when removing the STC, you will need Major Repair data to put the aircraft back to a pre-STC configuration if structural members need splicing, floor beams re-instating etc. The data could be an FAA 8110-3 from a DER or a Major Repair Design from an EASA Part 21J.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Thank you for your detailed answer @Wigglyamp

I was repeating what I was said, and you bring a nice complement.
I don’t know your feeling, but it seems EASA rules have brought a lot of facility, and makes things not so different to FAA N reg world.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message