Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS430W to GTN650xi? or GTN750xi?

Does IFD has swap options for G430w to IFD? the aircraft has already 2×G5, the plan is to add GFC500 (AP+FD with altitude select) when wiggles KAP140 (no FD and no altitude select)

I will look at IFD as well but not sure about the various compatibilities (TXP, TAS, AP/FD, GPSS, ADSB-O, FS…), in few years we will get sucked into ADSB-O via some European rules (U-space for drones “and tout ça”) and likely to be the trigger, assuming Garmin keeps supporting 430w, which does a great job for now !

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 May 08:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The choice between GTN650 & GTN750 should be driven by the other kit on the aircraft, if you have a G500 then this is the place your eye are going to be most of the time and so the navigation box just becomes a control head . At this point a GTN650 is adequate, if your primary navigation display is standard instrument size then the large map of the GTN750 is the ideal solution.

Make sure that you understand the interconnection options for interconnecting with other Avionic kit especially the role of some of the discreet switching options for controlling other avionics such as traffic system auto call-outs and sensitivity modes.

if your primary navigation display is standard instrument size then the large map of the GTN750 is the ideal solution.

That make sense !

Ibra wrote:

Not in a hurry but in 5 years 430w will become obsolete and getting something new is better…

What’s happening in 5 years? Is support for databases being discontinued from then? Or is 5 years your own personal arbitrary timeline for updating?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Just random timeline but I would expect Garmin will stop supporting them (by then ADSB will be mandated and it will be an opportunity to move on)

They already stopped G430 non-waas upgrade & support last two years but there are tens or hundred thousands of G430W that are still out there, the unit will have many years ahead !

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 May 16:14

A personal opinion, if I may. I positively HATE the 650 and 750 with their dumb touchscreen interface. I know you can do most things with the knob, but it’s really cumbersome. Flying right seat as safety pilot I have seen pilots really struggle to set up an approach in even mild turbulence and clear wx. I really would not want to have to use one of these things in anger on a dark and stormy night. If you think you have to get one of these units then absolutely get the voice-operated version. I’ve only seen it in action once, but that seems to obviate the touchscreen issues. There are other solutions out there (Avidyne, Aspen).

As a aside, while this may be wishful thinking, I cannot see the 430/530 units going away anytime soon. The installed base is simply too big for Garmin to pull the plug.

172driver wrote:

As a aside, while this may be wishful thinking, I cannot see the 430/530 units going away anytime soon. The installed base is simply too big for Garmin to pull the plug.

Totally agree. They will be supporting these things for ages I’m sure.

I’ve flown with all of the mentioned options, and in ranking order I would prefer: 750, 530W, 650, 430W. This is unless I had a big PFD, in which case I wouldn’t care so much what the actual nav unit was. For me the bigger screen is more important, because there’s much more information that can be displayed and in a more usable format. The 430W feels antiquated because of the size, whereas the 530W shows me everything I need. With the 650 I found myself rarely looking at the screen (430W as well), because it’s just too cramped. For me, the switchology and display of the 530W combined with a FS210 + ForeFlight for most of the map and flight plan entry is the perfect combo. But if I had a 430W I’d be itching for an upgrade as well.

EHRD, Netherlands

I guess it is mentioned already but consider swapping GNS430 with an IFD 440. It is literally a 5 minute install and spend the money you’d need just for the installation of a GTN, on something else. I swapped my GNS530 with an IFD540. It was the fastest upgrade I have ever done (5 minutes and some extra work for the waas antenna). The IFD drives my GFC500 auto pilot and it’s fully integrated with a dual G5 setup. The only thing I miss vs a GTN navigator is IFD540 is not able to drive the GFC500 for enroute VNAV. You just have to manually input commands to meet vertical nav restrictions in a STAR for example. I don’t think it is a big deal at all.

Switzerland

dutch_flyer wrote:

For me, the switchology and display of the 530W combined with a FS210 + ForeFlight for most of the map and flight plan entry is the perfect combo.

Totally agree !

One interesting combo I’ve flown behind is a 430W and a slaved 696 (panel mounted). This gives you the capabilities (and legality) of the 430W together with the big real estate of the 696. If you have the panel space, something to consider.

dutch_flyer wrote:

Totally agree. They will be supporting these things for ages I’m sure

Support will end when they no longer have parts for repair, probably displays first. They already ran out of some parts for the 24 volt version and support for it has been discontinued. There are no more parts for upgrades to WAAS if the unit hasn’t already been upgraded. I would be surprised if parts continued another 4 years. The units were last produced in 2011, so it has been 11 years and I doubt that parts were inventoried for more than 15 years post production maintenance. At some point, repairs will only be by replacement. The last software version was going to be 5.30 when I reported a bug and was told that it was highly unlikely to be fixed. Fortunately, Garmin released an updated to version 5.40 to add support for the G500/G600 and the G5 at the end of 2017, about 5 years ago and also fixed the bug. So my guess is there will be no more software updates unless they are forced to do so by an AD. The GNS430/530 series has had a great run since 1998, 24 years.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one