Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS430W to GTN650xi? or GTN750xi?

I fear @NCYankee is correct, probably supported for a couple of years more.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Is it correct that an Avidyne 440 is about 30% more expensive than a GTN 650 xi? (the same for the 540 corresponding to the GTN750).

I thought before that the Avidyne is a somewhat “cheapo” replace for a “genuine Garmin device”, but the pricing tells a different story. What am I missing?

(I am interested because “someday” I’d have to exchange my backup 430 with something newer, but as I have a GTN650 already I can wait)

Last Edited by UdoR at 23 May 07:37
Germany

I am ‘inheriting’ a 530/430 non WAAS combo which I expect will require replacement when one of the boxes gives up the ghost. If the 430 keels over first, may replace with a GNC255 NAV/COM, and when the 530 keels over, the 750xi. If the 530 keels over first, then the 750xi. These are 24V units.

The main advantage of the pair is the ability to manage cross fill, and am guessing the pair would need to be swapped to retain this feature. But in private GA how often are we setting up diversions and multiple sectors?

Am assuming the database support will continue indefinitely?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Am assuming the database support will continue indefinitely?

Probably not indefinitely, but a long long time, because it is still good business regardless if the equipment is obsolete. As long as there are tens of thousands of these in aircraft (I would not be surprised if there are over 140,000), it will be a money maker.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

As long as there are tens of thousands of these in aircraft (I would not be surprised if there are over 140,000), it will be a money maker.

This is why I don’t think they will stop supporting soon. The install base is enormous, and it would deter people from buying newer units if they expect the manufacturer to stop supporting the old ones.

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

This is why I don’t think they will stop supporting soon. The install base is enormous, and it would deter people from buying newer units if they expect the manufacturer to stop supporting the old ones.

It won’t be a choice. Once there are no more parts available, they will simply be unable to provide support for repair. They have already stopped some service options. Software updates are no longer available. Support for data will be ongoing as long as there is a demand.

KUZA, United States

Is it not possible to restart production of equivalent parts? Surely it’s possible.

But more likely the number crunchers would say the business model demands they quit, and customers have to buy new or are lost to other suppliers, and that their numbers support that and can be justified.

United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

Is it correct that an Avidyne 440 is about 30% more expensive than a GTN 650 xi? (the same for the 540 corresponding to the GTN750).

I’m not 100% up to speed on pricing, but don’t forget that the Avidyne boxes are slide-in replacements, whereas the GTN boxes require quite some panel work. At the end of the day it’s probably a wash financially, but a huge difference in downtime.

To add. Out of curiosity just checked and at least the 750 comparable Avidyne 550 is cheaper than the Garmin:
https://www.avidyne.com/product/ifd550-premium-fms-gps-navigator/

Last Edited by 172driver at 23 May 23:04

Responding to the thread name, the 430-sized products don’t have a usable screen for situational awareness, and need to be used together with some bigger screen. Whereas a “750” sized box can be used alone.

Database updates are a huge business, worth many millions a year to Garmin.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

Avidyne boxes are slide-in replacements, whereas the GTN boxes require quite some panel work. At the end of the day it’s probably a wash financially, but a huge difference in downtime.

This was a genius move by Avidyne, and a head-scratcher from Garmin.

EHRD, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one