Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Challenger reusable oil filter

The filter is a PMA part, does it really require an STC?

ESSZ, Sweden

What is a PMA of which product?

Not saying you are wrong; there are loads of “bogus” STCs whose market relies on installers not knowing the regs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

For an N-reg I think this is a Major Alteration so the Challenger (STC) route is the most practical way, although if you want to do a Field Approval you could perhaps reference that STC. Can a Field Approval reference an STC which is authorised only to specific owner or aircraft? @ncyankee may know.

You can’t use an STC without permission from the STC holder, even if it is a field approval mentioning the STC as part of the submission for the approved data.

KUZA, United States

One FSDO inspector told me that one can reference data used to apply for an STC, in a field approval.

Not the STC itself, which in any case was for a 421C.

That is how my SN3500 installation was done.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anyone aware of a mapping of the K&P filter models (SKU) to the Challenger model numbers?

LSZK, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself, I bought my filter, and 10ea gaskets from Speedline Moto, in the UK.

Dan, how did you go about determining which is the correct replacement?

Forever learning
EGTB

@Stickandrudderman, if you mean the spare gaskets, those were ordered along with the filter.
On the other hand if you query about the filter assembly, the S15, my intelligence was from the Vansairforce.net, and Eurogaguest1980 who had his before me.

Last Edited by Dan at 23 Jan 22:05
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Thanks.

Forever learning
EGTB

Dan wrote:

On the other hand if you query about the filter assembly, the S15, my intelligence was from the Vansairforce.net, and Eurogaguest1980 who had his before me.

What is the corresponding OEM p/n for that S15 filter? My oil filter is a CH48108-1 and Challenger gives their corresponding p/n. Anyone know which K&N filter corresponds or where I can find out? To be sure to get the right rings, one needs to know the K&N filter that corresponds to this.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

What is the corresponding OEM p/n for that S15 filter? My oil filter is a CH48108-1 and Challenger gives their corresponding p/n. Anyone know which K&N filter corresponds or where I can find out? To be sure to get the right rings, one needs to know the K&N filter that corresponds to this.

I used to use the CH48108-1 and now I use the K&P S15 in my IO-360. You wrote “K&N” which is a different company that also makes different types of filters, but you want the K&P.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message