Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

De ice boots stopped working

Piper PA34 Seneca 3 I tested my boots on the way to La Rochelle at FL130 and everything was ok. I was at La Rochelle for 3 nights and I believe it rained quite heavy one night.

On the flight back at FL140(-10) the boots did not inflate. Tried on the ground next day and they worked. It was mentioned to me that perhaps water had got in the system and froze at altitude. Has anyone else heard or experienced this.

Has anyone else heard or experienced this.

Yes, more than once. Water can enter and freeze either in the pneumatic valves, the lines or the boots themselves. The first two can be easily fixed by disconnecting both ends and blowing the water out with compressed air and/or nitrogen. The third case is very difficult and expensive to fix. So get someone to Look after it soon before the moisture gets into the boots.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I have no experience with the Seneca. But the last time ours in the Malibu did not work it was because there was a hole in one of the air tubes. In our system the tubes are quite big so you would need a lot of water to freeze in there. I would rather look at the electrical part of the system if it does not operate at all.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Has happened to me as well. Even non frozen water which seeps in can cause problems with inflation.

United Kingdom

Ok, sounds as if it could be that water has got in, don't think its electricle as it worked on the ground.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message