Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suggestions on cheap mode S transponder

The OP has not been back and I would suggest to him that – for an uncertified aircraft – he picks up something on Ebay.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OP has not been back

Just wondering why…

Last Edited by Dan at 24 Nov 21:39
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

My recommendation to the OP is that unless there is absolutely a need to install a Mode S transponder, do not do so. Broadcasting your tail number is never going to be a good idea unless you are forced to do it.

Silvaire wrote:

My recommendation to the OP is that unless there is absolutely a need to install a Mode S transponder, do not do so. Broadcasting your tail number is never going to be a good idea unless you are forced to do it.

I’m not sure if you can install a non-Mode S as a new transponder. Plus some CAS mandate Mode S, if you want to cross it, or worse – if your airfield is inside it…
AFAIK in some places (Elstree) all training aircraft MUST either be Mode-S or ADS-B out.

EGTR

The OP was apparently in Sweden and I have no idea of the regs in Sweden.

In general I would be amazed that someone flying a gyro (no exactly a touring machine needing extensive airspace access) would be rushing to be compliant with this stuff; it is the exact opposite of what one might expect

Re fresh installations of non Mode S, this is relevant, but this stuff is country specific.

AFAIK, ADS-B OUT is not mandatory anywhere in Europe for any purpose, in light GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The OP was apparently in Sweden and I have no idea of the regs in Sweden.

Sweden does not require mode S for VFR.

AFAIK, ADS-B OUT is not mandatory anywhere in Europe for any purpose, in light GA.

There is an area of the North Sea, in Amsterdam FIR, where ADS-B out is required for all traffic below FL55.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Nov 07:08
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Dan wrote:

Just wondering why…

If you are confused about a relatively simple question, go to a forum to get REALLY confused

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Axelaxe wrote:

I am looking for a cheap mode-s for my ultralight gyro. Any suggestions?

Maybe the OP could clarify what is meant by “cheap”. Not everyone has the same meaning of that word.

Regarding the ADS-B comments, Mode S and ADS-B Out do not need to be the same thing. A basic Mode S transponder does not need GPS. ADS-B Out does.

Surprised no one has mention the uAvionix tailBeaconX. While other products may seem to have a lower purchase price, installed cost is likely the cheapest on the market given that the antenna and GPS are integrated so no additional costs for either. One does need a control head in the panel, which adds another $1500 minimum unless something usable is already installed.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Surprised no one has mention the uAvionix tailBeaconX

Is there EASA approval for it? Or is it covered by a Standard Change?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Wow, great replies! For some reason my forum notification emails didn’t reach me so I thought my question unanswered.

Our farm airstrip is located under class C airspace. Also a future trip through Germany is probable.

I have been looking at the suggested TRIG TT21, but at €2200 I would consider anything below to be cheap(er) at least :) I have yet to a second hand market for mode S transponders.

Didn’t know ADS-B out was something I also should look into.

Last Edited by Axelaxe at 25 Nov 19:14
Sweden
Sign in to add your message