Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suggestions on cheap mode S transponder

I wonder what @wigglyamp thinks of that. It is from 2009 though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Apparently not although many people did believe that.

The EU regulation about transponder requirements (1207/2011 with changes) only requires aircraft used for IFR to have mode S transponders. There is no mention of an ban on installing mode A/C transponders.

On the other hand, there is no Standard Change for installations of mode A/C transponders, so you would need an STC or Modification approval.

But likely this is country dependent.

What is certainly country dependent is whether mode S is required in flight. I don’t see how how a country (in EASA-land) could ban the mere installation of mode A/C.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

On the other hand, there is no Standard Change for installations of mode A/C transponders, so you would need an STC or Modification approval. But likely this is country dependent.

What is certainly country dependent is whether mode S is required in flight. I don’t see how how a country (in EASA-land) could ban the mere installation of mode A/C.

@Airborne_Again, the link I’ve sent was not CofA, but re: PtF aircraft – for these xAA can request as they please.
Mode-S is required for some CAS crossings and for all TMZs.

EGTR

@Axelaxe
You probably were able to strike a super deal thanks to almost 5 pages of help and counselling…

If not, you might have a chance of finding what you’re looking for, at the price you envision, in European UL, glider or homebuilt forums.
There are quite a few around, and it seems almost every EU country has a few of those, examples:
Helmuts UL Seiten
or
Segelflug.de
or
EAS Marketplace

Good luck!

PS
My Garmin 328 sold pretty quickly for €500 when I redid my panel 3 years ago… wonder why. Ok, I’m not greedy

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

the link I’ve sent was not CofA, but re: PtF aircraft – for these xAA can request as they please.

PtF aircraft are usually non-EASA types and as such they are not subject to EASA rules, they always had to comply with NAA requirements

I don’t think NCO rules apply to LAA PtF types? before and after CAA/EASA split?

They are not even subject to SERA !

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Dec 20:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

@Airborne_Again, the link I’ve sent was not CofA, but re: PtF aircraft – for these xAA can request as they please.
Mode-S is required for some CAS crossings and for all TMZs.

Ibra wrote:

PtF aircraft are usually non-EASA types and as such they are not subject to EASA rules, they always had to comply with NAA requirements

I don’t think NCO rules apply to LAA PtF types? before and after CAA/EASA split?

This is not an EASA regulation, it is a “Single European Sky” (Eurocontrol) regulation so it should apply in the whole Eurocontrol area for any aircraft – Annex 1 or non-Annex 1. If you read it, you can see that it does not refer to the EASA Basic Regulation which all EASA regs do.

Of course, after Brexit the UK – and thus the LAA – can do what it pleases.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Dec 07:10
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Has anybody in here actually tested the TailbeaconX first hand? and would like to share the experience. Thx.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message