Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A good basic description of an annual inspection : another one from the Flying Reporter

I just came across this video which is a very good comprehensive way of describing what maintenance work must be done during annual inspection. Unlike a lot of other videos online giving details of a specific task, it gives an "outsider"’s view of what is happening during the inspection.

Although it is G-reg, most of what is being said applies EASA also -reg and N-reg.
It comes with a one-off bothersome surprise already stated in the title. I think I have seen a similar one done without wing removal, but the point is it gives a clear message that these “one-offs” are to be expected at annual, the more so the more complex the airplane is.
I also like that, unlike a lot of other “airplane refurbishing” videos on the web, they briefly show rivets being removed the proper way, without damaging the underlying skin.

In my opinion a must watch if you you are not familiar and you want to get into aircraft ownership.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Not removing the wing of a PA28 to replace the walk way skins is false economy, access to some of the rivets is almost impossible and working with the severely reduced access takes much longer.

The bottom line is wing removal allows a much better job to be done with the same amount Labour and allows you to get the wing into a paint shop rather than spraying the wing in less than ideal conditions in the hangar.

If you are unlucky enough to need to replace other internal structure ( not uncommon especially if the walkways have been replaced before ) then it is likely the Labour spent taking the wing off the aircraft will be more than compensated for by the extra difficulty working with the wing on the aircraft.

Thanks for the reference Antonio.

LFOU, France

Just an observation and not a criticism of the video, which was quite good. An inspection is not maintenance. It often results in discrepancies that require maintenance or preventive maintenance, but in itself, is just the inspection. It may result in an aircraft being signed of as airworthy or unairworthy.

KUZA, United States

Nice vid overview.
It is entirely possible to do the top skins with out pulling the wing. While some good points are made for painting, my caution would be that i am trying to prevent any possible damage to the spar attach holes. which to me is a bit more important than the possibility of mis matched paint. ANY possible damage to the holes in bolt removal can preclude the possibility of being able to do the eddy current inspection if it ever has to be done in the future. If need be, inspection plates can be installed in the lower skin to facilitate installation of rivets.

Inspector Dude A&P IA
21D, United States

Well made video.

Some observations:

• cutting the oil filter internal with a hacksaw is not smart because any contact between the hacksaw and the metal parts will create ferrous debris
  • spark plug inspection is at every service, not annually
  • copper grease on spark plug threads: totally forget about oil analysis yielding any useful data whatsoever! (ask me how I know)
  • “of the 60 ADs which may be applicable” – 60, really? I don’t doubt it but it is a lot
  • “component lives” is a European invention; the FAA system shows it has zero safety value
  • interesting how they waggle the prop during the compression check; is that normal? (it isn’t on my TB20)… I can see it improves piston ring seating
  • the guy holding the prop under his chin, during the compression check, must have been working on the deck of USS Enterprise at Iwo Jima
  • no mention of engine borescope; they talk about hearing valves hissing on a compression check, so maybe they do it, but you can do it at every service

1 month downtime and quite a few thousand quid…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

interesting how they waggle the prop during the compression check; is that normal?

Yes, the oldest trick in the book to seal the rings.

Checking the sources of cylinder leakage, i.e. listening at the exhaust pipes and crankcase vent with the cylinder pressurized at top dead center is also standard stuff, not really connected to bore scope inspection which you’d do at bottom dead center.

Much of the video isn’t about aircraft annual inspection, as pointed out.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Feb 02:19

Thanks for posting Antonio. I don’t normally have patience for youtube, but the Flying Reporter videos are accessible, and I’ve just sent this to some non-pilot friends who keep asking ‘how do you service your plane?’

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message