Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why are old Garmin GNS boxes holding their prices so well?

172driver wrote:

The problem with the 650/750 boxes is that the touchscreen is a right royal PITA to use in anything but perfectly still air. Two of our club planes (both 172s) have these things and I absolutely hate them.

Matter of habit – works fine for me…

EGTR

I am pretty sure the prices at which these boxes actually sell are way below what the sellers are asking.

I get a feed from one US site and people are putting stuff on there just a few hundred $ below the new price, which only a nutter will pay.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The problem with the 650/750 boxes is that the touchscreen is a right royal PITA to use in anything but perfectly still air.

Might the Avidyne IFD440/550 offer functionality and better ergonomics?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

Matter of habit – works fine for me…

In turbulence ? I find it almost impossible to use these things when it gets bumpy.

Peter wrote:

I am pretty sure the prices at which these boxes actually sell are way below what the sellers are asking.

You might think that, but you would be wrong. 430W currently sells for between $ 6 and 7k, the 530W for correspondingly more. I suspect the reasons are that many people don’t like the touchscreens, have a panel where everything is wired and works with the 430/530 setup and finally that it’s still a lot cheaper to simply do a slide out / slide in swap.

RobertL18C wrote:

Might the Avidyne IFD440/550 offer functionality and better ergonomics?

Yes, AFAICT that’s the case. I have personally never flown with one, but a friend recently installed it in a 210 and he loves it.

172driver wrote:

arj1 wrote: Matter of habit – works fine for me…

In turbulence ? I find it almost impossible to use these things when it gets bumpy.

Yep, in turbulance.

EGTR

You can do a lot of GTN functions using the knobs – you don’t have to use touchscreen for everything.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Any of the Garmin touchscreen stuff I have used has had a ‘lip’ at either the side or bottom which you can brace your hand on in turbulence and makes using it much easier. Non-touchscreen would still be easier, but as mentioned, plenty of the functions are available with more conventional methods.

United Kingdom

Pirho wrote:

Non-touchscreen would still be easier, but as mentioned, plenty of the functions are available with more conventional methods.

This is, AFAIK, where the Avidyne products shine – you can use either the touchscreen OR buttons and knobs. The little ‘lip’ on he side of the Garmins doesn’t work for me. In any case, I wouldn’t say that ‘plenty’ of functions are available without the touchscreen. Each to his own I guess.

Peter wrote:

If that is so, I have not encountered any. I’ve been looking for a 2nd GNS430W for a while but prices are still in the 6-7k range and probably will remain so for quite a while. Even non Waas 430ties still sell for $4500 to 5000, even though they are no longer upgradable and some are not repairable by Garmin.

One reason may well be compatibility and existing installations. Mostly, it is not the avionic price itself which is the killer in a new installation but the installation and engineering paperwork for minor/major change whatever. Possibly, with the fact that quite a few boxes can’t be repaired anymore, prices of working boxes may even go up as a consequence.

For this kind of price, I have to say I’d rather go for one of the newer boxes. There are GTN650 boxes on ebay for pretty much 10k.

BTW, question, how do GTN’s and GNS’s work together if at all? What about a GNS430W and an Avidyne 440?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

If you look at the vast number of wires that go into making up each connector on a GPS navigator, I have the height of respect for any technician who can remove an old installation and wire up a new GTN, GNC or IFD in situ. You would easily have to remove the RHS of the panel, all the old trays then make up the connectors, line up new holes and refit all. The time to do the post installation checks is significant too and fill in all the paperwork for the mod.

Avidyne adapting the slide in replacement model is very smart. I would never say “stick in” this or that radio as it’s a discredit to the great people who do this tricky work. Until you’ve been there for a big panel out job it’s hard to appreciate it.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
Sign in to add your message