Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why are old Garmin GNS boxes holding their prices so well?

Apparently you do not get a full crossfill between a W and Coupled Non W unit.
I can’t confirm but have heard it repeatedly over the years. It may be that what is crossed over is ‘enough’ ?

United Kingdom

I believe it would work to have one 430W and one 430 in the same panel, and have them linked. I know a Cirrus with that set up.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

If anyone is buying a GNS430W just check it is the later base software. You might want to factor in getting a software update and the databases updated. We are sending one of ours off to get this done soon.

I have to see what mine is as I am considering getting a Flightstream 210 for it and even possibly a 2nd GNS430W to replace the KX155 I have.

Actually I wonder what the implications would be if one of the GNS430 is W (existing) and one not, do they still sort of work together or not? Clearly, a 2nd 430W would be much preferrable so as to have the full connectivity, e.g. have one in the flight plan mode and the other in map.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

If anyone is buying a GNS430W just check it is the later base software. You might want to factor in getting a software update and the databases updated. We are sending one of ours off to get this done soon. Also if buying an antenna to match it must be the GA35 for W models and a new one is a good move. The special mounting screws and antenna backplate would slow down an installation if not present.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Indeed; I am happily flying around Europe, IFR, with a KLN94 + KMD550 (which provides a much better map than a GNS430 or anything else of that size screen), but KLN94s are going really cheap now because nobody wants them. Also you can’t get them repaired, which ought to prop up used prices.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know a couple of pilots who are happily flying IFR with a W or non-W GNS, roll steering, and an anolog cockpit. A DME maybe and alt preselect. Works well and everyone knows how to dial the knobs. Before I buy a GTN, I’ll get myself some GI275s or G5s and throw out the vacuum system. Not without a B&C standby alternator though.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

172driver wrote:

Mooney_Driver wrote: What I would be missing for flying IFR with the GNS-s vs the later models is to be able to file airway routes in order not to having to program 20 or 30 waypoints per flight by hand.

The answer to this is – Flightstream. Since we have this installed in the entire fleet, I can count the times I input a WP into the 430 on one hand. I use FF and one great feature (admittedly not applicable in Europe) is that FF knows the intermediate WPs of TEC routes and sends the whole route in individual WP format to the 430. Bang!

You could use a SkyDemon here with Garmin Pilot (Plan in SD then send it to GP that uploads it to the device).
Keeping in mind that it allows you to update the Nav Database wirelessly – nobrainer! (if it is your aircraft and not a rental).

EGTR

Mooney_Driver wrote:

What I would be missing for flying IFR with the GNS-s vs the later models is to be able to file airway routes in order not to having to program 20 or 30 waypoints per flight by hand.

The answer to this is – Flightstream. Since we have this installed in the entire fleet, I can count the times I input a WP into the 430 on one hand. I use FF and one great feature (admittedly not applicable in Europe) is that FF knows the intermediate WPs of TEC routes and sends the whole route in individual WP format to the 430. Bang!

Peter wrote:

t will be awfully interesting when Garmin drop the database support for GNS non-W

That would be Jeppesen anyway. And seeing that they still support older boxes which are not anywhere close to as large numbers I don’t think they would do that anytime soon.

172driver wrote:

There’s one more aspect to this – not everyone needs a -W. If all you do is VFR flying and perhaps the occasional cloud break then a non-WAAS GNS is just fine.

For VFR there are much easier solutions such as a good app on a tablett PC or similar. IMHO for VFR the use of a panel mounted GPS is quite limited, particularly the GNS devices which are not really strong on VFR features. The only use I can imagine is if you want to fly GPSS routes, which then however would have to be based on IFR waypoints if you don’t want to program for ages. Also important to know is that most GNS boxes do not include databases for visual reporting points, which at least in Europe would be a must have for VFR flying.

For IFR at least in Europe, WAAS will sooner or later be a must have, as several countries have noticed the savings by getting rid of analogue navigation aids like VOR/ILS and never mind NDB’s in favour of RNAV and LPV approaches. And the lowest denominator for that currently is the GNS430W.

What I would be missing for flying IFR with the GNS-s vs the later models is to be able to file airway routes in order not to having to program 20 or 30 waypoints per flight by hand. Also I am strongly considering adding a flight stream device to mine to tranfer flightplans, even tough this would mean I have to switch from my trusty Eays VFR to Garmin Pilot in order to use this. Here again, the wlan capability of the Avidyne boxes is imho something very nice and I wish Garmin’s boxes came with that.

172driver wrote:

I think Garmin could do much more upsell to new boxes if they had made the new ones as slide-in replacement (and perhaps not touch screen).

Yes absolutely. I think this is the main reason Avidyne initially had such a success with their boxes, also with the DCF90 which is a great AP and slide in replacement for the S-TEC 55X. If that one ever got certified for the Mooney, it would be an absolute no brainer.

I agree with what has been said that the GNS boxes tick

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There’s one more aspect to this – not everyone needs a -W. If all you do is VFR flying and perhaps the occasional cloud break then a non-WAAS GNS is just fine. I think Garmin could do much more upsell to new boxes if they had made the new ones as slide-in replacement (and perhaps not touch screen).

As for discontinuing the DB updates – I can’t see this happening any time soon, the installed unit base is just too big and they’d risk a serious backlash. Of course it will happen eventually, but IMHO on a pretty long time horizon.

78 Posts
Sign in to add your message