Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G meter - anybody has one?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Of course… how can anybody fly an aerobatic steed without?
On the other hand, the above depicts some antediluvian instrument, not sure that was a G-meter… ok, maybe, a looong time ago then.

(Clickbait or pop-corn thread? )

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Fairly common on aerobatic planes. Of those I flew, it’s a standard equipment on a Yak-52 and a factory option on a Zlin Z142.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I have asked the authority more than once, that, considering that G loads in the airplane are limitations to be obeyed by the pilot, how does the pilot abide the G load limitations when a G meter is not specified as minimum equipment. ’Never go an answer…

Yes, I had one in my 150. I did put one on my flying boat, but after the first water landing, I removed it, as the wave pounding on the hull drove the G meter crazy!

I sometimes have them temporarily installed for flight testing, particularly for upset maneuvers in the Caravan. I opine that a fatal test flight accident in a Caravan late last year had the [probable] absence of a G meter as a factor. The displayed recorded G reading shown below was achieved simultaneous with being very near Vne during a spin recovery. Without the G meter, passing through Vne with some G would have been likely – and very bad!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Someone had G-meter integrated with engine monitor in his Mooney Ovation, he rent it and was very worried about flying it after someone had a hard landing with it

Otherwise, I have seen them in gliders, aerobatic aircrafts and military types

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 May 17:15
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I have asked the authority more than once, that, considering that G loads in the airplane are limitations to be obeyed by the pilot, how does the pilot abide the G load limitations when a G meter is not specified as minimum equipment. ’Never go an answer…

That’s what I was thinking of.

But doing say a hard landing is not the same as stressing the wing roots by pulling lots of G when flying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All EFIS stuff has a g-meter implicitly (in all directions). But if it’s displayed is another thing. Except the “ball” that is

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Certification specifications deal with flight load limits under various conditions included gust factor modelling, certification for landing gear and associated systems has different design requirements / drop test modelling.

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

My Bolkow Junior has one – it is mildly aerobatic. Does not record.
I’ve told people it’s a landing meter. :-)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

As LeSving said,

plenty of modern era EFIS “stuff” has the G-meter included in the software, and correctly said as well, maybe it´s displayed or not, but it should be there.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message