Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Used HSI, AI troubles and the Dynon Pocket Panel

Sorry, yes, I meant the HSI system.

But I would still speak to a part 21 firm (more than one, for obvious reasons). There are ways to do most things...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You don't need an STC to install something below the level of an EFIS display (horizon and speed and altitude tapes on one screen)

Wouldn't an Aspen qualify for the need to have an STC under that definition ? Or were you referring to the installation of the King HSI?

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

You don't need an STC to install something below the level of an EFIS display (horizon and speed and altitude tapes on one screen).

I suggest you speak to a competent EASA Part 21 outfit.

Alternatively you can go N-reg

Administrator

I have not checked whether your type of plane is on there but it might be worth a look.

Thank you for the list. Virtually every GA aircraft is on it except ours.

This must be because Socata has given up the TC for the ST-10. The reason, I suppose, was the minimal spare parts business. This doesn't make the ST-10 an Annex 2 aircraft, however, but leaves it stranded on this list somewhere in between.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

But there might be another one coming on the market soon ;-)

Just drop me a line, okay?

Aspen recently obtained an Approved Model list from EASA (this would void the need for an individual STC). I have not checked whether your type of plane is on there but it might be worth a look.

Aspen Approved model list

RXH

Damn, a few weeks too late :-) ...

But there might be another one coming on the market soon ;-) Should know in about two weeks time.

Dynon D1

I cannot comment from personal experience but I was looking at one, too. The feedback I got from a few guys in the US who use this as back-up "removable" was pretty good through-out though.

RXH

US Ebay

A lot of the stuff there is obviously junk but...

Also the stuff comes up in the For Sale sections on the big US forums; Pilots of America, BeechTalk, and no doubt others I don't know about.

Administrator

Thank you for the helpful replies. I'll keep an eye open for a KI525, the AI was to be inspected ASAP anyway.

I sold my entire KCS55 very recently for $2500

Damn, a few weeks too late :-) ...

I for one would definitely not want to fly in IMC with an ipad on my knee...

You are right, on the knee it would not be very useful. I was thinking about our installation using a holder at the side (but we use it for the Jeppesen plates mainly). For us it is important that it is a "removable installation" in case of an inspection - everything attached to the panel and wired to the aircraft electrics would be an unapproved fixed installation.

EDDS - Stuttgart
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message