Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skydemon (merged thread)

I suspect that France is a very long way down as a market for SD, which is perceived to be an “English language” product.

Also the SIA chart is not widely used in France by French pilots. One reason is indicated here. Another is in many other posts by French pilots and is connected with the aeroclub mission profile, for which the SIA charts would not be useful.

I think SIA is used by Brits doing significant distances in France because it shows the exact airspace you need to know to fly the FL055+ Class E routes. I used to use it for VFR flying across France. I used to get the paper charts scanned and calibrated them to run under Oziexplorer and this was years before moving map products as we now know them existed. SIA may incidentally have been partly responsible for the crash in the above link – that “6500” label.

As for SD adoption in Italy, I am sure an Italian pilot can report. I very much doubt it is big down there, for similar reasons to France.

As for “arrogance” the reputation is legendary

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also the SIA chart is not widely used in France by French pilots.

But when we speak about the “SIA chart style”, we mean these charts, which everyone in France uses:

The charts that are in the “Pochette VFR” or sold by the SIA themselves, are indeed rarely used:

Rwy20 wrote:

But when we speak about the “SIA chart style”, we mean these charts, which everyone in France uses:

IGN ones are regularly used, the pochette VFR is sold to tourists

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes that’s exactly what I meant.

For low level VFR you use the IGN ones. They used to suppress airspace above 5000ft AGL but some years ago that limitation was lifted to, IIRC, FL120 which is the general base of Class D in France.

I have the IGN charts as a moving map.

Administrator

SD is probably the most popular of all the subscription non paper charts. I subscribe because I fly sometimes outside of France. Most French ,who don’t ,use one of several free moving map charts. Many use the IGN paper charts and others the Cartabossy.

France

Peter wrote:

IIRC, FL120

It’s written on the cover of the 2020 chart I posted, in French and English.

Peter wrote:

Also the SIA chart is not widely used in France by French pilots.

Im pretty sure ALL french pilots use the SIA Chart…Ahhh…

Rwy20 wrote:

Yes, Thats the chart I meant. Its weird, Ive used it for I dont know how many years and I had no idea it wasnt SiA, but IGN… And its written in Really big letters in one corner too…wow…!!!

SkyDemon is slowly getting worse now.
Besides removing the French Chart Style they now made Glider Fields, Glider Winch Launching, Ballooning Sites and
Paradrop Sites a “mandatory symbol” witch means you can’t hide them on the Chart… on the Forums they said something like they dont want to be held accountable when someone hits a Launching cable, while following a Magenta line on there Tablet ;)

Thread here: http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic30646.aspx

Also i cant find a way to hide restricted areas and obstacles anymore – witch makes the map very cluttered in the alps where you have cables, cablecars and towers everywhere. And France where you have Restricted Areas everywhere (witch are only activated by NOTAM IIRC)
These symbols and warnings while in flight are very good but while planing a flight it’s an outer mess IMO.

Sadly i just send them 160€ last month (renew SD+DFS Charts) – should have tested EasyVFR, FF or Garmin Pilot bevore that…

Last Edited by Matt_FK at 17 Jun 18:44
Austria

Good thing I don’t use auto app updates :)

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 17 Jun 20:51
LFOU, France

Never ever do auto updates on anything important you fly with

Or, for example, a phone which you might need on a trip…

The tone in those explanations is not called for, and is nonsense anyway since there is no demonstrated liability in a “VFR” app. It is like saying one busted airspace because the declutter options were set wrong, therefore the app vendor is liable. Of course not.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message