Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is Avidyne's TWX670 stormscope any better than a WX500?

Yes it was showing ground return, and I was calibrating the tilt to show them at the back of the screen as per Archie Trammel. The ground returns matched the chart.

EGTF, LFTF

> I am really hoping for an affordable SAT solution for Europe

> I manufacture the ADL110 and ADL120. Sjoerd which is also on this forum is also working on a solution. Datalink strikes are way ahead of on board detected strikes but then you have to have the equipment, pay for transmission and it will not work worldwide as the on board equipment.

I assume the ADL120 could be used in an N reg as a remote unite. It would be nice to have a clip on system like the Dynon D1/D2 as such the display can be removed immediately. I think with the screws it would be considered as a fixed installation and as such needs TSO,PMA approval..?

I assume that no panel mount GPS FPLN signal (RS232) can be fed legally into it under current FAA rules..?

EBST

>I assume that no panel mount GPS FPLN signal (RS232) can be fed legally into it under current FAA rules

What do you mean by “FPLN”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flightplan transfer from panel mounted GPS “as advertised”..;-)

EBST

This is digressing but I don’t think there is any panel mounted GPS on which flight plan transfer is openly documented, let alone possible.

On the GNS boxes it is clearly possible via the crossfill interface – see the Voiceflight thread here for example. Voiceflight reverse engineered it.

But there appear to be complications even with that, which for some reason require the flight plan generation device to have the same version (same AIRAC cycle) database as the GPS. My speculation is that this is because the GNS is doing an exact string match on some waypoint lat/long coordinates which are expressed as e.g. N45.65656565 E1.543754889 and in the following cycle the number might be slightly different due to the variability in the IEEE floating point calculations. I don’t think there is any device where you can just squirt in a normal waypoint list.

Administrator

Well I think misunderstood FROM the GPS..a KLN90B has no means to inject or cross-fill. But outputs waypoint Flight Plan Data. I doubt you can connect a panel mount GPS to the ADL under the current FAA rules..even with a field approval…

EBST

I agree that if the panel mount unit’s STC does not include connecting its data output to Product X, then Product X can’t be legally connected – without additional certification work.

But does anybody care if you bring the RS232 output out on some connector in the panel, and then “temporarily” connect handheld stuff to that?

I reckon this debate is in the same ballpark as plugging stuff into the cigar lighter socket. That is illegal too because the only thing certified to be plugged into the cigar lighter socket is the [cigar lighter itself](http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Car_cigarette_lighter.jpg)

Administrator

mhmhm…well the cigar lighter socket doesn’t sent data to an EHSI for GPSS roll steering….;)

EBST

> Flight plan transfer

Yes we have to distinguish two things. First there is sending flight plan data into a GPS device. For the GNS boxes this can only be done using the secret cross fill protocoll.

But then there is the Aviation Data RS232 format. This is data which comes from the panel mount device and is used to drive other equipment like MFD etc. The data is simply broadcast on a RS232 line by the GPS in a format which is well documented in the installation manuals. Very important, contrary to the cross fill there is no return line. So there is no way to somehow disturb the GNS box with any kind of data.

> certification ADL110/120

For EASA planes you can buy a minor change. This does not exist for N-reg. So all equipment must be removable without tools by the pilot. But as Peter wrote you can have a connector somewhere in the plane. The Garmin 695 for example accepts the same RS232 data and not beeing certified can also be interfaced, if it is done by a connector, to the GNS boxes.

Besides that the flight plan transfer is only one small feature so the pilot has not to enter the flight plan on the ADL110 trouch screen or the iPad again. There are plenty of great map displaying MFD solutions on the market so this is not the primary focus. The thing these devices are about is affordable datalink weather.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thanks Sebastian, that sums it up correctly I think.
So if you accept my feedback. It would be great to have a clip on system like the Dynon to install the small Screen it in an existing instrument hole without screws. The whole power data feed could go through a single connector a la mini XLR or similar…
And last but not least having an Android version would be great …compatible with some existing solutions on the European market…

EBST
Sign in to add your message