Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lycoming warranty voided by GAMI injectors

If you buy a new factory new Lycoming for about twice the price an overhauled one costs, then you might even deserve not to be covered.

GAMI injectors are Gold Plated, literally, so are obviously different from the standard injector. They have always taken the standard injectors in exchange, they become the feedstock for conversion to GAMI injectors.

In my experience of Lycoming warranty they are expert at twisting and wriggling. The only time they take any notice is at the gates of the court.

I have found Continental to be much better at honouring their warranty. My recent claim was 6 months out of warranty but they agreed to pay because I’d kept them informed from the first suspicion of a problem.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

If you buy a new factory new Lycoming for about twice the price an overhauled one costs

That’s a fair comment if you are comparing buying a new engine with overhauling your old one whose history is 100% known to you.

But how many people do that? Virtually everybody will overhaul their old engine.

The only obvious exception would be the (suprisingly many!) people who “forgot” about the Lyco crankshaft 12 year replacement AD (or who, being the sort who take the plane to their maintenance company and leave the keys and a pre-signed blank cheque on the seat, were never told about it and the company was utterly negligent), who missed out on the $2500 crankshaft deal (which ended in 2009) and who are now facing a Lyco remanufactured (meaning: “assembled from a bucket of bits with an unknown history”) engine as the most economical proposition, for something like $50k.

The other category might be somebody facing their 3rd (or so) overhaul, or somebody who was flying with incorrectly tightened crankcase bolts, whose crankcases are so shagged that after being re-faced they are below limits and need to be replaced.

If I was buying a used plane, I would first of all get the engine “looked at” by a reputable engine shop. So many people have for example prop strikes which they don’t declare. These can damage the gears, the mag(s), the governor, etc. Plus crankcase cracks which, if subsurface, won’t show up on NDT.

So unfortunately there are legitimate reasons for buying something with a known history, and you aren’t going to get that unless you either buy new or throw some considerable money at it.

But hey you fly a twin so it doesn’t matter (paraphrasing not you but another prominent pilot I know of).

In my experience of Lycoming warranty they are expert at twisting and wriggling.

From their crank swap saga, I think Lyco’s greatest asset is whoever drafted their NDA, because several people who credibly threatened to sue Lyco over that got deals which left them smiling but nobody ever leaked. Not even privately, that I know of. I am pretty sure Lyco offered an overhaul price pro-rated according to the remaining TBO, but there must have been substantial liquidated damages if somebody went public with the deal.

Last Edited by Peter at 12 Nov 20:47
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message