Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MT prop debonding

Posted on behalf of Norman:

My MT prop is having its first overhaul, only 300 hours, and no problems at all, no paint cracking, just a few very small chips, it looked in very good condition.
This picture shows debonding

Is this normal for MT? I would have thought the debond would have shown in the surface paint.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would send this picture to MT. They are known to be very helpful and even generous when props are out fo warranty,

I believe one of my MT blades was the same at overhaul and mine was repaired without great issue. The fiberglass cover is a weather shield to keep water from the wood, not part of the blade’s primary structure. The debonding appears to be between the fiberglass and the wood, and would not necessarily crack the paint.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Nov 18:21

Thanks to Alexis and Silvaire, also Peter, for sorting out the posting to the wrong Subject.

There is no problem with the overhaul, it seems quite normal to them. It was found by tapping and hearing a hollow sound. Now I know that, if I find a hollow sound down the line should I start to worry – probably not, if the paint is perfect, as it was in this case.

Norman
United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message