Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading the GNS530 – 530W or GTN750?

Yes that makes sense. In the wingtip you have just the lights.

However does anyone mount a fluxgate in a wingtip properly, with the round cover plate etc? The metalwork is quite a complicated 3D shape and it looks like Socata fabricated it from a number of pieces, some of which were pressed out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In most aircraft the tail section would not be the best section, even the most rear part. Think about steel brackets for tail attachment on a lot of aircraft, steel control cables (some aircraft stainless steel, but these tend to wear out much faster and are not recommended for most operations).

In the tail section you have more moving parts and more variable currents which cannot be calibrated for. Another point to take in account that you can calibrate the field, but a strong field which has been calibrated for, reduces the sensitivity of the system. It would be better to degauss first if needed, and then do the calibration.

this items are of less concern when you mount the flux valve in the wing tip (on most aircraft)

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Sure – what I had in mind was mounting the fluxgate not close to any of the other stuff, but at the far end of the rear section.

I have seen it done like that in helicopters. That video I posted actually has the MT102 fluxgate still mounted in an ex-helicopter mounting bracket.

With the SG102 the fluxgate calibration is quite easy, to take out the effects of nearby metal.

Administrator

Out of interest, why would it be more critical in the tail, assuming the tail section is either composite or aluminium, compared to being installed in a wing of same material?

Typically the wing tip is more silent for both magnetic fields and electro magnetic fields. The tail section often also has or is closer to transmitting antenna’s, ventilation blowers, trim and A/P servo’s, passenger headset / speaker (magnets) and in some aircraft even the battery. These device create magnetic and/or electro magnetic fields which can degrade the performance of the flux valve.

Last Edited by Jesse at 17 Dec 15:44
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Thanks to all who helped enlighten me on this one, especially NCYankee for his clear explanation of GPSS, the role of the adapter and how it interfaces with the KFC150 autopilot. I’ve read so many confused posts (elsewhere) on this topic!

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

I have been flying behind the Aspen Pro1000 for 5 years -1100 hrs now, and consider it excellent. Since v 1.5 firmware (circa 2008/9) it has been completely stable.
No issues with readability in direct sunlight (too bright in fact at night).

I upgraded last year to v2.2 with synthetic vision, and it renders terrain very well even here in the remote North of Thailand.

I have found it much more intuitive than Garmin’s user interface, and their support refreshingly pro cstomer.
I would certainly install one again. If I ever re-engineer my panel, I would install the MFD version alongside it.

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

See the SG102 IM, page 46 and 47. I would not call that “wiring all over the aircraft”.

It also can be mounted in the tail, but this is much more critical.

Out of interest, why would it be more critical in the tail, assuming the tail section is either composite or aluminium, compared to being installed in a wing of same material?

Administrator

Sure, but on a new installation you will also install the SG102 in the back, and the flux valve is often mounted in the wing tip. It also can be mounted in the tail, but this is much more critical. You will have to install wiring all over the aircraft, which is time consuming. With a new installation you would also have to fabricated brackets for mounting, which costs money. It’s only a good option if it’s just as with your aircraft, than a KI525 allready had been installed.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

SN3500 + SG102 are dead easy to wire up provided you can put the fluxgate somewhere easy.

5% of the KI525 wiring.

But as I said that is not a functional comparison with say a G500 which does a different job.

Administrator

It all depends on the current configuration.
With Peter’s Socata which already had a KI525 it makes sense to upgrade to a Sandel.
For any aircraft where your would have to install either a KI-525 systems or Sandels EHSI equavalent with SG102 from scratch, it won’t make sense at all.
It requires a lot of wiring and components all over the aircraft. It will cost a lot on labour.

Well on experimental or something it might be nice, if someone enjoys to do their wiring themselfs.

Starting from scratch, Aspen and Garmin would offer equipment with much more features for less money (installed).

The UK install cost of a G500 is something in the region of £30-40k depending on which GPS you put in to drive it and what else is involved.

Can’t believe that, maybe for dual COM/NAV/GPS, not for a G500 with single GTN650 for example. That would mean it would cost over £13K GBP to install? You must be in error.

Last Edited by Jesse at 16 Dec 17:51
JP-Avionics
EHMZ
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message