Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to avoid maintenance surprises?

I see, thank you for the information

There is at least one company in the UK that is approved for major composite repair who have fixed all the Cirrus aircraft that have been badly damaged in the UK over the last few years but they are not a Cirrus maintenance centre !

If you do ever get a part of your aircraft damaged talk to Cirrus UK and they will point you in the direction of people who can fix Cirrus parts rather than just replace them.

I will bow to a&c superior knowledge but I always thing the costly maintenace suprises eg camshaft on a 235. tend to occur on aircraft that dont fly that often.

I bow to your knowledge on this, and, if true, I guess this might be a problem for any composite aircraft requiring a major repair.

My earlier post said that I use RGV for my annuals and, occasionally, Falcon for oil changes. I have yet to need a major composite repair nor have I had any problem in RGV completing any of the six annuals they have done for me.

Last Edited by Jonzarno at 22 Dec 11:23
EGSC

Jonnarzno / alexisvc

According to the CAA 145 approval list RGV and Falcon DONT have structural repair approval, what they do have is a maintenance approval so the tasks they can perform are limited to those in the maintenance manual, anything beyond that has to go to a company with a C20 rating for that component/ aircraft.

In practical terms it limits work to minor bump & scratch repair as well as repair of non critical parts, the repair of landing gear spats would be a good example of non critical work.

With a Diamond aircraft it is clearly defines in the maintenance manual any class 1 damage RGV & Falcon can repair, any class 2 damage they can’t.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 22 Dec 10:08

Yes, RGV does composite work. I have asked this spring, they can do composite work (they a have a small shop for that) and they do paint aswell. I am thinking about letting them do a respray of the SR22 in 2012 colors, maybe next year …

Marshalls can not do composite work, I don’t know about Falcon but I have to say that I always thought that RGV can. Do you know that to be wrong?

EGSC

Jonzano.

What I find interesting is that the three maintenance shops you recommend are not capable of composite repair of anything past the very basic, what do they do if you get some damage ? Is it an instant component replacement ?

To return to the subject of the thread I am of the opinion that it matters not if the aircraft is EASA or FAA it is how much the owner is prepared to spend on preventative maintenance in the early years of an aircraft’s life, what usually happens is owners go around looking for cheap maintenance and get a cheap annual for on the first visit and then as the company identifys issues move the maintenance to another shop……..this process goes on until there is no one who is prepared to release the aircraft to service…………. Usually that is when the writs start flying !

Anthony

Savvy work using a ticket system on their web site so there is a written record of everything. You post details of what you need to it and they reply. When the shop becomes involved, they post messages to the ticket in the same way. There is an option to keep the posts confidential to you and Savvy or to make them visible to the technicians as well.

In effect, whilst you can still have a good direct relationship with the shop as I do with all three shops I work with, you have Savvy advising you at each decision point.

My annuals are all done by RGV at Gloucestershire and my 50 hr / oil changes (Savvy has a 50 hr schedule that they recommend) either by Marshalls at Cambridge which is my home base or Falcon at Biggin Hill where I often visit.

If you, or anyone else, would like to know more about this or any other aspect of Cirrus ownership, please let me know and we can speak on the phone.

EGSC

The point is: if you

• have read and understood the MM
  • know and understand the applicable FARs
  • have read all publications by Mike Busch
  • have a very good shop

then you don’t need Savvy. If one of the above conditions is not met, then Savvy makes sense.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message