Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The WiFi aircraft and information ergonomics

Doesn’t a mode-S transponder transmit position information, and likely more data (ground speed? heading?) that only a GPS receiver can supply?

For the former, only for Enhanced Mode S or ADS-B, neither of which is a requirement in light GA. Enhanced Mode S is required for (I think) 250kt TAS plus capability… A TBM needs Enhanced Mode S, for example. But I am pretty sure there is no requirement to transmit any “GPS” data at that level of GA.

For the latter, no requirement to do that, although GPS GS has been used for Garmin transponder auto mode switching (King ones don’t support that; have to use a landing gear squat switch or a pitot-static differential pressure switch) and then, depending on the transponder firmware (older versions of the GTX330 would radiate everything connected to the RS232 or ARINC429 inputs) it might be "inadvertently radiated, in effect slightly changing the Elementary Mode S to (an allegedly illegal version of) Enhanced Mode S…

Works fine with my plane using a Trig Transponder and a GNS430

I never said it doesn’t work

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Jan 10:26
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for elaborating, Peter! One day I’ll understand it all – but it won’t be tomorrow.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

This summarises it pretty well: Link

EGTK Oxford
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message