Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS430W/540W software 5.1 release

Garmin made revision 5.1 of the firmware available. Update via dealers who can charge from nothing to an arm and a leg.

This update brings advisory glideslopes for LP+V approaches. Where do we find LP+V approaches?

In the US there are some 500+ LP procedures. These are equivalent to a localizer approach. The +V is advisory and should only be used to get to the MDA, not below it. LP procedures were only added when the runway wasn’t suitable for LPV, but there was a reduction in the MDA over the LNAV.

KUZA, United States

Speaking of advisory glideslopes, there is a totally uncertified but very interesting Android application called GPS ILS .

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

We did that here.

Very interesting and probably a good reason to get the Android version of the Thuraya satsleeve. That phone looks like a Galaxy S4.

NCYankee – does one get autopilot guidance on the LP+V ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

does one get autopilot guidance on the LP+V ?

That’s what the 5.1 update is all about… We don’t have LP+V in Europe, do we?

I have 5.0 on my GNS530W and I’m quite happy with it.
More than 30 WP per flight plan is good.

United Kingdom

NCYankee – does one get autopilot guidance on the LP+V ?

If the autopilot is capable of vertical guidance, it will get a glidepath on LPV, LNAV/VNAV, LNAV+V, and now LP+V. The +V is advisory and may be used down to the MDA without any sink thru permitted at the MDA. It may not be used below the MDA.

When a runway wishes to be evaluated for a LPV, an obstacle evaluation is performed. If there are no penetration of obstacles, the LPV is published, usually with an LNAV/VNAV and a LNAV option. An LP is never published with an LPV or LNAV/VNAV. If there are obstacles that can’t be removed, the procedure is evaluated for an LP. If the LP doesn’t provide for a lower MDA than the LNAV, then an LNAV is published. Otherwise an LP and a LNAV are published. When the LNAV or LP is flight tested, if the obstacles are particularly hazardous, than the +V is not permitted.

KUZA, United States

Where do LP+Vs exist in Europe?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Where do LP+Vs exist in Europe?

I doubt that Europe has any LP procedures. It would be interesting to know if there were any.

KUZA, United States

That is my impression, too. Even though, to be honest, I haven’tunderstood the difference between LNAV+V and LP+V yet..

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message