Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GMX200 - any views?

The GMX200 brochure is another MFD but at least it is not made by Avidyne, and compatibility with a Garmin GPS ought to be 100%.

For those with long term deep pockets it can even display the Jeppesen charts

It is 5" high so if I lose one of the two KX radios here I have 8" of height to play with, which leaves 3" for a GPS, and say the GTN650 is 2.65" high.

There are however sporadic reports of the GMX200 display randomly rotating itself. I don’t know if that has been fixed with a firmware update.

How would one compare a GTN650+GMX200 with a GTN750, for simultaneous presentation of information?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stone aged product with a crappy 640×480 resolution. Wasn’t even worth considering 5 years ago.

Not as good as a GTN750 by itself. The GMX200 is not leading edge and is poorly supported by Garmin. They haven’t yet indicated if it will be supported in the US for the GDL88 ADS-B. The GTN650 UI sucks IMHO.

KUZA, United States

How would the GMX200 compare with the Avidyne EX600?

640×480 is fine, BTW. My KMD550 is 320×240 and is perfectly fine in every IFR context.

For Jepp plates, it’s different, but frankly most pilots over 50 will struggle reading the details of a Jepp chart at slightly more than arm’s length, without glasses optimised for that distance. For Jepps I would not consider anything other than printed, or displayed on a modern tablet, both on a kneeboard. Jepps were originally designed for a 800×600 display (the original windows tablets) and they are readable thus, but only marginally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message