Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics shop recommendations - Europe (merged)

Peter wrote:

because of the 8.33 stampede,

Still? The 8.33 requirement has been around for almost a year now!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Still? The 8.33 requirement has been around for almost a year now!

You will be amazed how many A/C are still flying around with old radios.

ESME, ESMS

In the UK nearly all GA 8.33 allocations use the +0.005 trick so the old radios still 100% work because the transmit frequency remains the same Due to there being so few avionics shops, UK GA would have collapsed if the CAA had not done that.

The options for the shop are limited if you want nontrivial design work done (nontrivial avionics interconnections). Lots of people can throw boxes into a panel…

My next job is 2×IFD540 or a GTN650+750 and I have no idea at all where I could take it. And I would not go abroad because if you cannot visit the job as it is being done, the chance of a bad job goes up dramatically – as many will testify… And similarly a given shop tends to do a better level of service for “locals” especially if they speak the same language. Last time somebody did a big job on my plane it was an installation disaster which I don’t want to repeat (that company doesn’t post here, btw) and that was despite me driving up there halfway through and picking up various bodges.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And similarly a given shop tends to do a better level of service for “locals” especially if they speak the same language.

Everyone at Straubing speaks perfect English and they don’t seem to have any preferential regime. They give very good service to people of all nationalities, as far as I can tell.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Dear mr Fabry,
you could ask ASP avionics at EBZW but don’t know about availability
I think most good AVX shop have a booked agenda.
grtz

Straubing is my shop of choice. They’re not cheap, but reasonable, and many other avionics guys send devices to them anyway or call them, sooner or later.
The issue with the altitude preselect I had ? Turns out they’re the only ones who can fix it. In Europe….

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I still think that there are just too many issues with using a company so far away (look at the OP’s location).

One customer report is here and here.

How will you pop down there to keep an eye on progress? Looks like an airline flight to Munich and then half a day of transport. It’s going to take you 3 days to do it.

I am not saying there are better options. I don’t know of any (from own experience) in the UK. I wish there were.

So many such projects have ended up as a disaster.

Also the OP has posted too little about the job. He is (was?) a TBM dealer…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can check with Aeroservice (Slovenia, Lesce Bled LJBL airport) http://www.aeroservice.si/en/. I’ve seen several good Garmin upgrades they’ve done.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

How will you pop down there to keep an eye on progress? Looks like an airline flight to Munich and then half a day of transport. It’s going to take you 3 days to do it.

If you have to supervise the work (except checking progress out of curiosity) then you’ve chosen wrong shop.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Looks like an airline flight to Munich and then half a day of transport

A trip I do often. It’s about 45 minutes from Munich airport and about €130 for a pre-booked taxi.

And in my experience they don’t need supervision. They are extraordinarily capable.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message