Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics shop recommendations - Europe (merged)

Hope it works out for you. There is always a risk in buying used stuff but labor and/or fixed repair prices are so high that in my experience you can buy more than one replacement in order to get a good one and still come out ahead. Or combine parts from several to build one where everything works.

My Narco Nav and Comm are the matching 1980s vintage units to this DME and I carefully swapped around faces, knobs, and displays from several units to get them into shape. Also the cosmetics are good now. The hardest part was getting the knobs off – the set screws seize. In the end with knobs replaced as appropriate, new set screws (with lubricated threads), Nav calibrated etc. all came out well with the exception of the auto dimming feature on one of them. I don’t fly at night so that doesn’t matter. Then I bought an additional spare comm in good shape for $300 IIRC and I’m set up for a long time for a few hundred $ total.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Mar 15:18

Thanks for the suggestion @Silvaire. I had seen a few on eBay but was reluctant due to the risk that it wouldn’t work after such an outlay. But it doesn’t take much time by an avionics tech to run up a $500 bill, so I guess I’ll take eBay as the path of least resistance. Worst case I’ve thrown away $500.

LSZK, Switzerland

I’d recommend A&C.

I would have saved a fortune if little know it all me had listened to him.

He’s not just right. He is allways right.

Rami1988 wrote:

Any recommendations for UK avionics shops? Purpose is to install a DME unit on my tb20

We used Bournemouth Avionics at Lee on Solent for our panel replacement / autopilot (a lot of work). While I’ve no experience of other shops, they did a good job (everything worked first time, and was mostly on time and within budget).

EGTF, United Kingdom

Interestingly, zero recommendations for the UK for this guy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I see a couple of serviceable Narco 890s on Google from $400 to $500. At that price I might just find the best one available and stick it in. For example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165924103132?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

I bought similar to have a backup for my comm in case of display problems (which have yet to occur). Lots being removed for upgrades, not because of problems, then sitting on shelves until they’re sold for whatever they bring. PM me if you need any help ordering in the US.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Mar 19:25

Anyone know of someone (FAA-certified) who is able to actually do avionics repairs, specifically on my Narco 890?

Why do you need someone FAA-approved it it‘s just a repair, which doesn‘t leave any trace anyway?

AFAIK, an avionics engineer hinself can’t even be “FAA certified”. You could have an FAA approved instrument repair shop, but again, why, for something like this?

Maybe @przemek could help.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

My Narco 890 apparently needs some repair. It has been working fine but recently has been unreliable at picking up operational DMEs. For example, on a recent VOR/DME approach it wouldn’t give me any DME distance. Once on the ground, I noticed that it was reading ok again.

Had my avionics shop take a look and they said that the device’s output transmissions were weak, which of course would lead to a lack of response from any DME not able to pick it up. The shop was either unable or just uninterested in pursuing the problem further.

Most avionics shops these days seem to have lost the skills and/or equipment to repair avionics. They have the test equipment needed to do installation and recurring measurement work, but if an device needs any sort of repair it just goes off to the manufacturer. The manufacturers also seem to be encouraging that with their products.

Anyone know of someone (FAA-certified) who is able to actually do avionics repairs, specifically on my Narco 890? There was a fellow in the US who made a business of this, but I notice that he has just retired (mikesavionics.com). It is likely a dying breed.

I’ve taken a look at the maintenance manual and the electronics is pure analog with lots of adjustable elements. The troubleshooting chapter is very detailed, but needs someone who knows their craft. I have no idea if sourcing any of the individual parts is an issue or not, should that be required.

The alternative would be to a) replace the Narco 890 with a used one from a place like Bennet Avionics which is quoting them for $1’295 incl 90-day warranty. Replacement with a King KN63/KI572 would cost up to $3’000 and in addition require panel and installation work. All DME devices seem to also have old display technology which is more or less unavailable any more, so there is a risk of just getting something installed and then losing the display.

I’ve heard rumours that Garmin is planning to come out with a DME, but that could just be somebody’s wishful thinking.

Last Edited by chflyer at 03 Mar 18:07
LSZK, Switzerland

Correction, need to edit my post but outside of the time limit. We had a Sandel 3308 which had the bulb in the back to project onto the screen, not a 3500 with the LED screen. And to pay $2k just because the avionics guy couldn’t identify a burnt out bulb was ridiculous…..

EDL*, Germany

UdoR wrote:

I do not share the positive experience with Straubing. I don’t mean to share the details here, because it is an open forum. But I’ve not seen the degree of professionalism for handling critical IFR avionics.

I have had my own experience with them.

Peter wrote:

Straubing is incredibly popular in Germany. They are the “must go there” shop. And they look after their valued regular clients, with loan units etc. These clients in turn are always posting about this. I have never used them myself but had some comms with them and they were, shall we say, entirely unsatisfactory. When I mentioned this to one local customer I was told it is one particular person there.

Porta Air Service were also mentioned here.

In my case, my Sandel 3500 was defective, the shop doing maintenance didn’t have a clue so sent it to Straubing. They then “tested” it, claimed it needed to be sent to the manufacturer who then contacted me to ask why Straubing had sent it to them when it was just a defective bulb? I complained to the manager in Straubing about this, especially as the repairs from Sandel was a flat $2000 fee. For changing a bulb. The response was…….

…well, my letters went unanswered, when I called on the phone, I was effectively ignored….

Since then I won’t touch them with a 10’ barge pole….

EDL*, Germany
127 Posts
Sign in to add your message