Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A new handheld ILS-capable transceiver YAESU FTA-750L

here

The US discount shops are advertising it at $395.

The manual is here

It does 8.33

and it has a built-in GPS so you can get your location when making an emergency call etc.

Last Edited by Peter at 25 Feb 15:25
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

very nice!
Sporty’s have an ILS capable one and it got very good reviews in Aviation Consumer.
This is one looks smaller and has GPS.
Very tempting!

ORTAC

I am going to get one as soon as it is available – February, they say.

Administrator

I have been flirting with the FTA-720 for quite some time (Icom is too expensive) and I was impressed by the build quality of the FTA-230 I saw the other day. I think the 750 changes everything.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Peter, when you get it I’ll make decision based on your review

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Wow – this looks impressive. The only thing that would put me off is the keypad design which comes straight from the 1980s..

EDLN and EDKB

What type of keypad do you prefer? Touchscreen? No way.

United Kingdom

The only thing that would put me off is the keypad design which comes straight from the 1980s

And? They got a lot of things right in the 1980s! But waypoint entry for the GPS could be a bit tedious with this keypad I suppose.

EDDS - Stuttgart

MrFacts: not concerned by the lack of BZT licence? Or is that a thing of the past?

EDL*, Germany

not concerned by the lack of BZT licence?

This has been discussed for ever in the UK. The old Icoms had “CAA approval”. Then, quite a few years ago, the CAA shut its approvals dept (I reckon they didn’t have a radio test lab as such and probably outsourced the testing to the usual £1000/day EMC lab down the road – the EU is packed with these labs, milking the CE compliance gravy train) and no more handheld radios got “CAA approved”. So a lot of people started posting all over the forums that such and such [more recent] handheld cannot be used because it isn’t CAA approved.

I can’t see that anybody cares… Here in the UK it’s even illegal to listen to airband frequencies.

But waypoint entry for the GPS could be a bit tedious with this keypad I suppose.

Possibly applicable to navigating with it, but who will? You can get a far more functional moving map GPS app on any phone – even a Nokia :smike: I would regard the GPS function as good for reading out the coordinates to some airliner passing high above, when you are floating in the life raft. Currently I carry a GPS for that: the Garmin 196 I bought the other day, replacing the old Skymap 2.

Many years ago Garmin made a combined handheld radio+GPS but when I tried to buy it, I couldn’t find a single one.

Last Edited by Peter at 26 Feb 21:01
Administrator
71 Posts
Sign in to add your message