Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft tug (merged)

My experience is that the main challenge in towing is on a rough surface, and then you run out of grip on the ground, so a bike would not work. On a smooth level surface, this might work, possibly

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I hope you were told riding bikes is not allowed on airfields !!!

I used an electric bike (Motague Paratrooper with BionX kit) to tug a 500kg glider on very rough/steep surfaces, I had to trottle assist to get the thing moving straight and it does struggle on wet grass, I don’t think it will make it for 2T aircraft unless you get an initial slow push by someone, btw there is a lot of shame & blame in GA when you try any new genious ideas that fail, so be relaxed about that first ;)

https://www.electricbike.com/bionx/

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Aug 07:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Dear guys

Anyone who has an experience with AeroPack APT3000 special portable edition? I like its being protable and simple but not sure of performance as I couldnt find many recent reviews about it? Any other portable tow bar recommendations very much welcomed.

Best
Töre

Austria

I would be interested in experiences, too. From their video, I fear that is is easy to scratch the wheelpant upon attaching and detaching the device, and also that it is a bit too short, making it unfomfortable to handle.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don’t know about the Cirrus version specifically.

I had a custom unit made for a Cessna P210N Silver Eagle (the custom part was a longer handle due to the longer nose), and I was quite unhappy with it. It didn’t have enough grip on the tire, unless one pushed quite heavily, and even then didn’t work well when tire wet. Then it just broke… Obviously, “pushing too hard” was my fault… I also ordered one of their portable Lithium start power unit, stopped working after a few months.

I replaced the towbar with a Redline Sidewinder and the battery start unit with a Red Box Aviation one (the Start Pac ones look good, too).

ELLX

AdamFrisch wrote:

I love my AC Air T1.5 tug. It pulls the big Commander, no problem.

I’ve decided to try a T1V2. Well three actually, to defray air freight costs. Two are spoken for, but if anyone wants the third one, please send a pm.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I bought one for my PA46.

Super fast service (they answered the order on a weekend) and delivery. Product is built very solidly but basically doesn’t work – it only moves the aircraft in situations where it can easily be pushed by one guy.

That’s where the super fast service stopped. I haven’t been able to send back the product. Similar experience to flyingwidower.

Avoid.

Last Edited by denopa at 28 Dec 08:06
EGTF, LFTF

Achim used to say this

Towflexx / Schleppmaxxe is a good company and their product nicely engineered. Mine was bought second hand from Germany.

These products, which push onto the front tyre, will never be much good. They should work on tarmac but they are unlikely to work on grass because of limited traction on the one wheel.

One could do a design for grass where a separate wheel with “pins” sticking out would work on soft ground but I have not seen such a thing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The AC Air Technology T1V2 tug seems to work reasonably well on snow with our resident Husky and with this (~700 kg empty weight) Jodel.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message