Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

At UK ATC unit and maybe also FISO, management/quality/… listened to the tapes. So anything not in line with MATS part 1 & 2 or CAP413 will be spotted and offender reeducated.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Just got a msg from Newcastle on our discreet service. As of 26/04/2018 Newcastle is going over to 8.33. ATIS 118.380, Tower 119.705 App 124.380 GRD 121.730 and Director 125.830.

Has the UK actually implemented the frequency charging, where 8.33k channels cost 1/3 of 25k channels? I mean, are the airports actually paying the bills?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Presumably when licence renewals are due mainly.

Egnm, United Kingdom

One thing is being actually charged, another is being under pressure from the CAA.

For example I am sure the Czechs are not paying, but they still did it with incredible enthusiasm.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

One thing is being actually charged, another is being under pressure from the CAA.

It’s Ofcom rather than the CAA.

Which reminds me, I need to enable 8.33 channels on the GTR 225A (and put up with all the extra knob twiddling!)

Last Edited by alioth at 07 Feb 16:12
Andreas IOM

Are the airports actually paying any frequency spectrum bills?

Administrator

I believe yes.
See by example this post by the ex ops manager at Gloucester:

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

He’s not actually saying he is paying the money though. It may still just be a threat. There is a curious lack of actual data. That forum is full of “I know something but I ain’t saying” one-liners

Also, as I posted a while ago, one airfield I spoke to seemed to think they could reclassify themselves as 8.33 while keeping the 25k channels The equipment is all the same (except for the receiver selectivity but we all know it’s gonna work ok ).

Administrator

It seems that 8.33 frequencies are coming in faster than NATS can update the UK AIP.

They will be in AIP supplements, but I am not quite sure whether that means that they will appear in Jeppesen, SkyDemon etc in a timely fashion.

The CAA is aware that this could cause confusion, and even safety issues, so they have short circuited the AIP promulgation process and are publishing a regularly updated spreadsheet.

I do recommend that people intending to fly in the UK download this document and keep it with them as a fallback if they cannot make contact.

I don’t know how other States are managing the process.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message